Author Topic: New glass from Auto City Classic  (Read 1160 times)

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
New glass from Auto City Classic
« on: May 02, 2023, 09:33:14 PM »
I just finished installing new glass on my 79 TransAm. I used glass from Auto City Classic. They offer several options from original green tint and also with gray tint. The glass tint is part of the glass and isn’t a film. The glass fits really well, every bit as good as original. They sell individual pieces but I chose the whole set. My rear window was scratched in several places and I got a small crack in the windshield. A local installer fitted the front and rear glass and I did the side windows. The side windows went in real easy and I had the job done in about 3 hours including the glass alignment and replacing the weatherstripping.
The weather strip I used was the Latex version from the Parts Place. The latex weather strip is more expensive than Metro/ Soft Seal, but it is worth every penny. Fist off there are no weak splices and it is soft as the OEM. I never really like Metro or Soft Seal for the doors because they seem to stiff and in the past they have split were they are spliced.
I also had a set of window gauge blocks for the F body cars. It took me a few years to get a set, but now you can find them reproduced on eBay. If you are doing window installation and or replacement I highly recommend using a set. They get the window pretty much spot on. Otherwise it can be a lot of time adjusting the side windows.

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: New glass from Auto City Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 09:35:58 PM »
More glass pics
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 02:13:16 AM »
Looks good, great to hear. Did you have any dramas setting up the side glass with the blocks? Or just take your time and adjust until happy? How does it seal and run against the door seal and into roof line, all good? Does Auto City Classic glass come with any other markings to show where it is made or what other brands it is marketed under? For sake of our other glass post?

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 03:05:16 AM »
Looks great! I need to replace my door glass along with the weatherstripping. Whatever brand I bought years ago just doesn’t fit right and is too stiff as you mentioned. I’ve never been able to put my windows up all the way without opening the doors.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 04:51:20 AM »
Nice! I recently replaced door glass too. I have the printed blocks but wasn’t able to use them due to not removing the weatherstripping at this time. It took about 2 days to just get it acceptable.

Good to know about the weatherstripping as well.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 04:51:20 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 05:55:58 AM »
Looks good Jim, good to hear the side windows worked out. I was hesitant to order a set after reading about all of the bad glass out there, but I will give them a try. I used Auto City Classic for my windshield as well. And can attest that it was a decent part. A bit thinner than the original but my glass guy said they are all like that now. My only beef is that it is now impossible to find a windshield without the antennae.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 05:57:57 AM »
That looks awesome!

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 07:13:42 PM »
My glass shows up tomorrow from the same supplier, hope mine looks as good as yours.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 08:28:13 PM »
Great to see you had the same experience with Auto City Classic as myself.   I think they’re the best glass option out there now.

Thanks for the info on the weatherstripping too. Mine is also too stiff.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 09:48:56 PM »
Looks good, great to hear. Did you have any dramas setting up the side glass with the blocks? Or just take your time and adjust until happy? How does it seal and run against the door seal and into roof line, all good? Does Auto City Classic glass come with any other markings to show where it is made or what other brands it is marketed under? For sake of our other glass post?
The glass install went real smooth. The alignment blocks really do help. I removed the old weatherstrip and once the glass was mounted in the tracks, I made sure the fuzzy stops were loose as well as the tracks and the window stops. I bumped the window up using the power window switch. I did it slowly to position the glass into the blocks. Once it was seated into the blocks, I snugged it down. The window guides (fuzzies) were tighter as well but not the firm against the glass just touching up against the window.

After that I lowered the glass and installed the new weather strip. Once the weather strip was in place I brought the glass back up and slowly closed the door. Everything fit properly and it seated well. After I was happy I checked the window up and down and opened and closed the door a few times. Everything worked very good and I was real happy with the fitment. The door closed pretty well with the glass up, better than previously but with new weather strip it needed just a slight nudge to close. I believe this will improve once the seal gets worked in some more. It did however close better than the old weatherstrip.

The glass does have numbers info on it , and comes with a data sticker as well. I have used this glass before on my 72 Firebird and posted the data info on a previous glass installation thread.

Overall I was real happy with it.
Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 09:50:21 PM »
Looks good Jim, good to hear the side windows worked out. I was hesitant to order a set after reading about all of the bad glass out there, but I will give them a try. I used Auto City Classic for my windshield as well. And can attest that it was a decent part. A bit thinner than the original but my glass guy said they are all like that now. My only beef is that it is now impossible to find a windshield without the antennae.
The side window glass fits very well, highly recommended!
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 10:56:03 PM »
My only beef is that it is now impossible to find a windshield without the antennae.

Is it possible to add a second aerial cable and a junction connector, double the reception for dead spots? Or does it start picking up military frequencies and alien chatter?

I know the clowns with their jacked-up 4WD trucks have several 20' aerials flopping about, they wouldn't do it for looks, cos it looks sh...  I just figured their fav disco channel was normally out of reach when they go bush.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 05:40:50 AM »
TATA had an external power antennae, it did not have an internal windshield antennae. In restoring mine I have been striving for factory correctness, this will be one short coming as I could not find anyone that now produces the windshield without built in ant. Has nothing to do with reception, I dont even listen to the radio anymore!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »
haha good point, was trying to look at the positives!

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 10:09:28 AM »
 Howdy all,
My side and back glass arrived yesterday and after a careful inspection , I noticed some issues. Below is what I sent to the seller and EBay:
The passenger side glass is damaged along the top leading edge. This piece was wrapped in a blue static tape, different from the other pieces that were properly wrapped and not damaged. There is also three other issues, the glass is a different thickness, color and it does not have a DOT number on it. The drivers side measures .25 inch and has a DOT number. The passenger side (damaged) measures .18 inch , NO DOT number and is a different shade of grey.

We’ll see what their solution is and I’ll post the results. Two different thickness and and  no DOT #…SMH.
The color difference is probably because of the thickness.

737Driver could you please measure the thickness of your passenger and drivers side glass for me as a reference, I would appreciate it, just in case I need the ammo.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 10:09:28 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 04:11:57 PM »
Tin pusher, did you order from auto city classics?
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 09:12:26 PM »
Howdy all,
My side and back glass arrived yesterday and after a careful inspection , I noticed some issues. Below is what I sent to the seller and EBay:
The passenger side glass is damaged along the top leading edge. This piece was wrapped in a blue static tape, different from the other pieces that were properly wrapped and not damaged. There is also three other issues, the glass is a different thickness, color and it does not have a DOT number on it. The drivers side measures .25 inch and has a DOT number. The passenger side (damaged) measures .18 inch , NO DOT number and is a different shade of grey.

When I installed the glass on my 72 Firebird I used Auto City glass as well. At that time I compared it to the original glass and it was pretty much identical in size and thickness. To be honest, the total fitment was excellent. From what I remember Auto City glass is shipped wrapped in thick brown paper and two layers of bubble wrap. I will take some new measurements this week and compare them again to the originals.
Jim
We’ll see what their solution is and I’ll post the results. Two different thickness and and  no DOT #…SMH.
The color difference is probably because of the thickness.

737Driver could you please measure the thickness of your passenger and drivers side glass for me as a reference, I would appreciate it, just in case I need the ammo.
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 10:40:16 PM »
I guess I didn’t mention that the glass came from Auto City classic on eBay..
I received a response from Auto City and they said that they would send a replacement for the damaged glass but it would be from the same supplier. I know the difference in the color is probably due to the thickness of the glass but I didn’t expect to get a unmatched set.

737Driver, I saw a copy of my post, but didn’t see your response. I was hoping to get a measurement from you on the thickness on both side glass.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2023, 04:16:16 AM »
I would have them send you the other side too so you have a matches set.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 09:27:11 PM »
I guess I didn’t mention that the glass came from Auto City classic on eBay..
I received a response from Auto City and they said that they would send a replacement for the damaged glass but it would be from the same supplier. I know the difference in the color is probably due to the thickness of the glass but I didn’t expect to get a unmatched set.

737Driver, I saw a copy of my post, but didn’t see your response. I was hoping to get a measurement from you on the thickness on both side glass.

I ,ensured the original glass and the Auto City glass thickness. They were both pretty much identical  .2385
Jim

1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2023, 08:24:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing the Glass block and weather strip info.  I installed Metro/Softseal weather strip in my TTA.  This is the fourth season with it and it has not held up well.  Seams at top front of door/t-top are uneven and poorly finished, and the other seams around the bend of the t-top are separating/tearing.  Meanwhile, the fitment at the corners is poor.   Although I finally got them water tight, it all needs to be replaced now 'cause it looks awful.

The car and new glass look fabulous!
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83354.0

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2023, 08:47:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing the Glass block and weather strip info.  I installed Metro/Softseal weather strip in my TTA.  This is the fourth season with it and it has not held up well.  Seams at top front of door/t-top are uneven and poorly finished, and the other seams around the bend of the t-top are separating/tearing.  Meanwhile, the fitment at the corners is poor.   Although I finally got them water tight, it all needs to be replaced now 'cause it looks awful.

The car and new glass look fabulous!

I’ll be honest, I have never  had good results with Metro/ Softseal , twice in the past I had to replace it . I got the latex ones from the Parts Place and they are twice the cost. However, in my opinion they are worth it. Some have had better success with Metro/ Soft Seal I’m sure but not me.
Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 02:38:44 PM »
Thanks 737 for the measurements.
Auto City glass did me right by replacing the the side glass with a matching set.
My glass guy came out Friday and installed the front (from his source) and the rear from auto city. He was pleasantly surprised on  the fit and finish and said that it is a nice quality piece.
The only recommendation I would make is to make sure when you order that you ask for a matching set.
I plan on installing the door glass in the next couple of weeks……working way to much.
I’m in the process of wet sanding my paint, please excuse the mess.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 02:38:44 PM »
You can help support TAC!