Author Topic: Door Latch Replacement  (Read 1179 times)

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
Door Latch Replacement
« on: August 31, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
Hello all...

I'm replacing the driver's side door latch on my 79 Firebird.  The outside door handle seems to require more "umph" than I like to put it thru in order to get the latch to open and I don't want to risk damaging it due to a sticky latch.

I have the door panel removed and the interior door handle rod disconnected from the latch lever, however getting the 3 mounting screws on the door jam side of the door to come loose has been frustrating, to say the least.

I've been blasting the threads with some penetrating oil for the last couple weeks, but despite all my attempts, I can't even get one of these buggers to budge.  I'm using the proper #3 Philips bit as to minimize striping the head.  I've tried an impact driver and a mallet, a regular nut driver, a bit in a 1/4" socket with a ratchet and a few other "creative" assemblies that I thought may do the trick, but as I said, nothing has worked.

I'm to the point where I'm planning to drill thru the heads of each of these screws.  But prior to doing just that, I thought I would inquire with TAC to see if there are any members who have a trick they've used or any bit of advice to lend.  I'm all ears.  Thanks everyone.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Re: Door Latch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »
I used the LISLE impact driver that is used with a hammer and that did the trick. They are tough to remove, but using the impact driver and hammer is the only method I used that worked.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 03:58:52 AM »
That is what I used on many applications.  Worth the money and time for sure.

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 06:43:28 AM »
I'll bet that you can fix that difficult latch by flushing it with degreaser and then lubing it again.  Have you tried doing this first?

79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible (#713),F45,LT4,M6
13 427 Vette convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't disagree that the latch is probably just in need of some lubrication.  However it is over 40 years old and rather than wait for a complete failure to the point of no longer being able to open the door or it not closing, as well as the risk of damage to the outside door handle (for which I cannot seem to locate the correct "Carmine" color insert), I thought it best to replace.  Plus waiting longer isn't going to improve the chances of seized fasteners coming loose with ease.

After failing on my first attempt to remove these screws, I did a little looking and found a YouTube video that showed a technician using an Impact Driver and purchased this one from Mr. Bezos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPUJYE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

This is my first experience with an Impact Driver.  Unless I'm missing something, this one seems to function as designed and I believe I'm using it correctly.  Driver is set to "L" for counterclockwise rotation, I place it in the screw head with a little pressure in the direction I want it to turn and strike it with a hammer.  Not too complicated.

As I said in my first post, I've been hitting the threads with some penetrating oil off and on for a while now.  I'll give the Impact Driver another chance and hope this combo of lubrication and force does the trick.  If not, I guess I'll bust out the Dewalt, some fresh HFT drill bits and my Drill Doctor.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  :)

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
To use a hammer impact driver insert it into said screw and
twist it in the direction you want it to go, it should be tight keep that tension as you hit it with the hammer. The tension you put on it by turning it makes the impact more jolting as it's not getting absorbed by the internal mechanism of the impact driver.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »
I agree with the impact driver. 

By the way, I found that the new latch was unlockable in a lock-then-close order of actions, like a Toyota (for instance), and this clearly runs afoul of the way Firebird door locks were intended to be used.  I may regret this some day, but I figured out how to disable this by mangling part of the mechanism.  I can't tell you how I did it, I can just tell you that it's possible.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »
I tried all the methods including the impact driver. Nothing worked so I ended up drilling mine out.
Gene

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 06:43:07 AM »
Instead of using the proper sized Carmine handle insert, try looking for wide pinstriping in that color.  That width should be available in pinstriping.  You may not be able to find the exact color but something close should be available. 
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible (#713),F45,LT4,M6
13 427 Vette convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
I agree with the impact driver. 

By the way, I found that the new latch was unlockable in a lock-then-close order of actions, like a Toyota (for instance), and this clearly runs afoul of the way Firebird door locks were intended to be used.  I may regret this some day, but I figured out how to disable this by mangling part of the mechanism.  I can't tell you how I did it, I can just tell you that it's possible.

Mm... well this information is very intriguing. Do you happen to know what brand of latch you purchased?

I have a Goodmark set from Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmk-4021-444-77l

I don't think I'll be happy with an $80+ latch that doesn't perform the way the factory piece does.  I'm gonna have to see if I can test the ones I have.  If they're gonna do what you described (unlock as the door is closed), I'll just do what Warren has suggested.  That is, lubricate the originals and call it a day.

Thanks for the heads-up on that firebirdparts.  :cool:

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!