Author Topic: Project 1979 Trans Am RETREAD!  (Read 1665 times)

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
Project 1979 Trans Am RETREAD!
« on: June 13, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
So, I got lucky and had an old site rip of my '79 project. The only thing that stinks is it stops at 2017, but I will be thankful for what I have. It's sad how much awesome information was lost but, what are you gonna do. A mighty big thanks and much appreciation to the site Chief and the mods. Sometimes things just go wrong and it can't be helped.

I'm going to leave out all the well wishes. There are many and I really appreciate them. They helped a lot whenever I thought about just selling this project off. I will include member's posts that include helpful information and answers to questions. If it wasn't for TAC and its members this project would be much more difficult!

After 2017, I will try to reconstruct some of my posts based on the pics that I have. If there's anything specific that I do not address and that any of you remember that you deem important, let me know and Ill try to get it back up on the forum.

To be honest, the server failure will be helpful to me. I've had a long break from this project and sorta forgot where I've left off and some of what I was planning to do, LOL!

Here's to doing it all over again!  :shock: :lol:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:07:30 PM by Ford5of5 »

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Project 1979 Trans Am RETREAD!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
Originally posted Jan 15th, 2016

So, I bought the '79 TA clone to use as a daily driver while building my '72 Esprit. It stated life as a gold 301 Formula with tan deluxe interior and no options other than t-tops. It had been converted to a TA with nocturne blue ext and blue birds with black deluxe int. It looked ok from 10 feet away. Not great but not bad. I knew it had a few issues, but didn't care because it was just a kick-around car. I only paid $6k for it with a rebuilt 400.

The first issue was the backyard paint job; it's not horrible but had a few runs in the clear coat. Even though it has TA trim, it still had the Formula decals on the doors and a huge 400 badge from a 60's bird on the rear spoiler. The dash had been hacked for a newer stereo and had a half dash cover installed. All the trim had been changed from tan to black with what looks like spray paint. And every piece of weather strip was dried out. The first thing I did was change the t-top and door weather strips and that quieted the car down big time.

A year or so after I bought it, I rebuilt the front suspension and steering. Just a quick weekend project that wouldn't break the bank. That's where the problems really started. I noticed a terrible repair to the radiator support using angle iron, but I ignored it because this was just a kick around car. My '72 project got sidetracked by my Dad and brother's '55 Ford Vic. Then it got sidetracked by my Dad's '66 T-bird.

And now the '72 has been sidetracked by this car. The more I looked at the previous owner's repairs, the more I felt like I should just sell or part the car. Instead I decided to fix it. The PO managed to install the engine at an angle and askew. I know the engine should be offset to the car's center-line, but this something you'd have to see. I'm really surprised there wasn't any odd vibrations. The motor mounts were trashed and welded in. The rad support was rotted beyond repair. There's some collision damage to the bumper plate. The toe panels, forward floor, rear floor, and rear seat panel on both sides had huge rot holes with repair panels welded on top and slathered in ROOFING CEMENT! The wrong body bushings were installed in rotted out holes; this is the most surprising problem because I drove the car that way for almost 2 years in an extremely dangerous state without a clue to how bad things were.

So far, I replaced all the rot on the floor pans. I had to smooth the firewall because the PO bolted a remote oil filter through the gutter; it caused massive rot to the heater area. The upper cowl needed to be replaced and I had to fab windshield braces. All the body mounts and drivers forward torque box have been repaired and all the caged nuts have been re-caged. Thankfully the rockers are good! Next up is to replace the rear torque boxes.

These are my 'Birds:

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
January 16th, 2016

My plans are to make a white TA clone with red interior and red birds. All bright work will be blacked out.

This photo example was found by an internet search:

Also in the works is a Vintage Air system, pw, pl possibly with keyless entry, Speedhut gauges, Bluetooth Retro Sound heat and sound insulation, blackout- shades for the t-tops, Pypes dual exhaust with TA splitters and overdrive.

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 08:58:15 PM »
February 5th, 2016

Rotisserie pics:

The rockers are in pretty good condition. The spring braces are completely shot. Even though the rocker wasn't rotted, I cut out a section because it was bent up so bad and torn in a few spots. Then I repaired the wheel well.

This is what it looks like when someone fixes a frame rail with 1/4" plate and bondo:

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
February 8th, 2016

Got a Hazard Fraught plasma cutter today. I used it to cut a patch out of 16ga. My origional plan was to make the patch in 2 pieces, but I was able to cut this odd shape using the plasma cutter and a template. Plasma is a dream compared to using an angle or die grinder.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:14:38 PM by Ford5of5 »

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »
Pic update from February 20th, 2016 probably not in the correct order

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:29:17 PM »
Pic update of frame rail fabrication June 24th, 2016

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:19:32 PM by Ford5of5 »

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
Pic update from November 23rd, 2016

I fixed the stripped threads in the upper shock mounts as well as some rot and then moved on to replacing the inner and outer tail panels. I think I may have hit a milestone as all my floor repairs are complete.

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »
Pic update from December 10th, 2016

Trunks patches, rear frame rail segment replacement, and finished inner and outer tail panels

Here's the replacement frame rail section that i got off of Ebay, manufacturer unknown. In regards to this particular piece, I will yield to my friend Doright. The fitment was horrible and required a lot of cutting, banging and rewelding.

The AMD inner and outer tail panels fit like a glove. By accident, I bought two different manufacturer's inner panels. One was AMD and I think the other was Goodmark. Both AMD panels had crisper profiles, all the holes were either dead on or very close and pretty much fell into place.

The trunk closed on the first try. YAY!

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 10:39:41 PM »
December 29th, 2016

All frame, floor and trunk repairs have been completed. The underside then got stripped to bare metal and cleaned. I applied 2 coats of Rust Bullet, 2 coats of home made Lizard Skin on the exterior, 2 coats of RB and 1 coat of home made Lizard Skin on the interior. The home made Lizard Skin then got a coat of white Rust Bullet White Shell paint. The texture of the microspheres required more paint than I bought. A quart should have been enough for 2 coats, I barely got coverage.

***UPDATE*** A TAC member, apologies I don't remember who, did an experiment with the home made Lizard Skin. IIRC, it doesn't perform well enough to justify the cost and time or it doesn't really do anything at all. If the person who did the experiment happens along this post, please remind us of your findings. My home made Lizard Skin was a 1:1 mix of microspheres and Rust Bullet Automotive chassis paint.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:50:53 PM by Ford5of5 »

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 12:46:58 PM »
Well I think the home made lizard skin looks great!  Should be a sound deadener too.

I forgot about this, but that was incredible amount of rust repair.  You obviously have a lot of patience and good skills.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 08:33:14 PM »
@MNBob, the texture does look good but at this point I don't know if it provides any practical benefit at all. IIRC, there was some debate that the home made lizard skin still had some sound deadening qualities if you used latex paint.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 08:33:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!