Author Topic: Stolen Car Recovered  (Read 697 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Stolen Car Recovered
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »
Just an interesting tidbit, I will fore warn this is a Mustang story.
I took my wifes car to a an all mustang show last weekend (wearing my trans am hoodie :grin:), got to talking with a fellow about his car. It was a real deal 65 Shelby 350. The guy I was talking to was the first registered owner. He bought it from the original owner that raced it for about 6 months from new. At that time he used it as a daily driver. He said after about 7 years it was stolen. Insurance paid him all was good except his shelby was gone. Fast forward many years and the car goes for sale on ebay. He had a friend that had been on the lookout for a long time. Whenever one came up for sale this guy would investigate. Perseverance paid off and he finally found it. Car was in NY, the guy said they have some crazy law about stolen cars that he didnt get into. Long story shorter he had to pay the insurance company a kings ransome to get HIS car back. I have heard and asked the guy, about stories whereas the buy back is what the insurance paid in the original claim. He said that was about $3500. and the Ins. said NO WAY. He said he had a long legal battle with them but they won. And he got his car back.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Re: Stolen Car Recovered
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:29:58 AM »
Glad he got the car back!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:22:22 AM »
Sort of a similar situation happened to a friend of mine.  Back in the late 70s/early 80s in college (graduated in 82) a buddy had a 68 Camaro he bought in high school.  327 automatic in fair condition.  He drove it to school while fixing it up.  Swapped in a 350-4speed.  Drove it through most of college with the interior panels removed to keep them nice while he was working on it.  Senior year of college he used some student loan money to finish it off.  Nice new paint, interior back in engine bay detailed etc.  was in the process of selecting nice wheels and tires.  He went out to eat at a local restaurant and comes out to find a guy crawling all around the car.  Seems this was a cop whose specialty was stolen cars.  The cop noticed a]some discrepancy between the cowl vin and the stamped vin on the frame.  Cop has the car towed and impounded as a stolen car.  Turns out the car was stolen in 69 when it new.  My pal bought it in 7-8 years later and had no idea.  The car didn’t come with a title so my friend applied for an got one when he bought it.  Well the insurance company paid the original owner and he was long gone.  No one was contesting ownership just this cop discovered it was stolen at one time.

While all this history was being traced the police wouldn’t let my friend have possession of the car and it sat in a storage lot.  Four months and a couple of court appearances later, the law says my friend can have is car back.  Storage yard hands him a $4000 bill for storage charges.  A couple of more court sessions and he ended up paying about $1500 to get it.  During this time life was going on and his interest waned.  Got the car but pretty much just parked it.  Still has it but it’s back to a sorry state.  No one won here, just the “expert” proving he was right.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 04:39:02 AM »
76, yeah that sounds about right. Def a bad situation. At the time the storage fees were closing in on the value of the car.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter