Author Topic: Reproduction Glass Quality  (Read 18803 times)

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Reproduction Glass Quality
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »
I've posted over the last few months about my trials and tribulations on procuring side window glass for my second gen and I'm happy to report that I now have two new, perfect fitting windows! Along the way I've learned more about auto glass then I ever thought I would need to know. I'm going to explain the path I took and what I learned so it will hopefully benefit others. I can't guarantee that any particular vendor/supplier is the best place to purchase as I suspect it may still be hit or miss, but this info should at least increase your chances of getting good fitting windows.

Installing my new windows also gave me an opportunity to use the 3D printed window gauge blocks for alignment. I can tell you up front that they work great...but only if you have good glass to work with. If you're trying to align glass with incorrect dimensions then you will struggle. With glass that has accurate dimensions, the alignment process should be at max a 5-10 minute process. This is assuming that you've gotten familiar with the adjustment points and the proper sequence of steps as outlined in the GM repair manual. If the sticky post on these gauge blocks gets re-posted, I'll update that thread on the process.

Because my previous glass posts are lost in the site crash, I'll start at the beginning. I originally purchased OER brand replacement windows from Summit Racing, but after installing the passenger side it had clearance issues at both edges. The issue turned out the be too much curvature as shown in the photo below.

Too much curvature creates problems once the outer weatherstripping is installed as it pushes the window inboard too much. Trying to push it back outboard to clear the edges actually started to distort the door skin. The way I measured the curvature was to pick a point in the center of the window 10 inches from the top, lay a straight edge across the windows horizontally and measure the distance from the straight edge to the inside surface of the glass.

My original OEM windows measured 5/16" and the OER brand passenger window was 5/8", double the OEM dimension.

The OER driver window measured at 1/2", not as bad but still considerably more curved than OEM. At this point I decided to return the OER glass in exchange for Pilkington brand at double the price. Pilkington had a reputation for good quality and I assumed you get what you pay for. Unfortunately both windows were backordered for two months out so in the meantime I installed my old original OEM driver side glass to get a feel for what correct fitting glass was like. It was night and day different. The whole alignment process was quick and simple, and it made me realize that bad reproduction glass is most likely the reason people complain about aligning their windows.

Two months later the Pilkington passenger window arrived and I went to Summit Racing to pick it up and return the OER glass. The curvature of the Pilkington measured out perfectly but I also found out that Pilkington had closed down their classic auto glass division and I wouldn't be able to get the driver side through them. While at the store we measured 3 other OER driver side pieces and they were all bad.

Still in need of a driver side window, I started searching numerous vendors and tried to find out as much info as possible on glass quality. I even talked to an auto glass locating service (didn't know there was such a thing before this). Throughout all of my searching it was always unclear where the sellers were getting their glass from and if they were all getting from the same supplier. Eventually I ran across a craigslist ad in Southern California for reproduction classic auto glass from an obscure seller. Gave him a call and his name was Brian and his business is called SoCal Classic Autoglass Connection. Brian was immensely helpful, his pricing was reasonable, he was confident that his product was good and offered to pay for return shipping if the glass didn't work out. After a lengthy discussion I decided to place an order through him via PayPal.

In the discussion with Brian I learned that each glass supplier has their own unique DOT (Department of Transportation) number which will be etched or printed on the glass. Even if there are no other markings there should always be a DOT number. So you can check any vender's product for the DOT number and know where they get their glass from. Ultimately the quality of the glass rests on the supplier (with their unique DOT number), not who the seller is. There are several public databases of DOT suppliers on the web although not all of them are completely up to date. Here are a couple.
https://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db (this one goes up to DOT904)
https://www.glassbytes.com/dot/index.php (this one goes up to DOT1161)
Brian told me he sells glass labeled DOT686 which is a Taiwan supplier. My Pilkington passenger window is DOT509, my PGW windshield is DOT563, original LOF (Libby Owens Ford) is DOT15, etc.

Side note, if you want to learn more about OEM glass check out this page - http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml. It's for first gen Camaros but still pertinent.

A couple days later I got a call from Brian and he informed me that National Parts Depot bought up all the driver side windows from his supplier and it would be a couple months before he could get one for me. He knew I was anxious to get the window so he offered to refund my money so I could order through NPD. He followed through on the refund and I placed a new order through NPD. When the window arrived it measured out perfectly on the curvature, and it turned out to be labeled DOT686 which is the same supplier that Brian described that he uses.

So I had both windows now with the right curvature but the story doesn't end there. I started installing the Pilkington passenger window using the gauge blocks and everything went smooth, although I noticed one problem - that the rear edge was very close to the C-pillar molding. It was so close that it just barely cleared the molding when opening/closing.

The alignment gauge blocks provide three reference points for alignment, two on the top edge and one on the front edge. The rear edge will fall where it does based on the front being in the correct position. Since the front was aligned correctly I checked the overall length front to back and found it to be 5/16" longer compared to the OEM window that I had semi-installed on the driver side. The problem this creates is that the window weatherstripping is very thick and dense at it's base, particularly at the top and bottom of the C-pillar. With the extra length of the Pilkington window it ends up lying on the thick non-compressible portion of the weatherstrip seal and would make the door very difficult to close. The driver side OEM window had a much more reasonal gap between the C-pillar and the edge to where it fell on a thinner/softer portion of the seal. So I started comparing window length to the different pieces of glass I had on hand. I actually have four OEM windows, two that came with the car and two I picked up on craigslist along the way. This gave me a decent sample size of OEM glass for comparison.

Since the window edges aren't straight it's difficult to find a good reference point for measuring length. What I did was create a template of the overall window shape out of cardboard using one of the OEM windows as a reference. I then compared the shape of the cardboard to all the other window shapes by lining up the front and top edges and documented the variance of the length dimension at the rear edge. Here's a photo of the reference cardboard after lining up the front edge demonstrating the difference in length.

The OEM window I chose for reference happened to be one of the larger ones so all of the others measured smaller, EXCEPT for the Pilkington glass which turned out the be the largest of all the windows I had.

You can see from the table that there was variance across all the glass, even the OEM ones. My guess is that the edge finishing was/is a manual process and naturally prone to variances. Given the variances it's hard to determine which one is the "correct" dimension, but I would prefer to use the "shorter" length due to how I described it sitting on the weatherstrip seal. So I'm estimating that 1/4" smaller to my reference is the target dimension. Interestingly the NPD (DOT686) glass measured closer to the OEM glass than the Pilkington. So the Pilkington supplier got the hard part right (the curvature) but got the easy part wrong (length). I contemplated taking the glass to a local glass shop to see if they could shorten the length, but decided instead to order another passenger window from NPD to see if it fit as well as the driver side one. That one turned out to measure perfectly on curvature AND on length, matching the driver side NPD glass exactly. Because of this I couldn't see paying a premium for the Pilkington since it wasn't going to fit as well as the less expensive glass and returned the Pilkington to Summit.

So the bottom line is that there are two critical dimensions to look for on window glass, the curvature and overall length. As I mentioned earlier, it may still be hit or miss but paying attention to these two dimensions you will know how close to OEM it is. If the window is aligned using the gauge blocks you should target about 1/2" clearance between the rear edge of the window and the weatherstripping channel (or 3/4" clearance to the base of the channel). BTW, I'm not using the extra layer of chrome molding on the C-pillar, using that would decrease the clearance.

I can recommend DOT686 door glass available from NPD and SoCal Classic Autoglass Connection. Brian's price was reasonable but his shipping was higher, so if you are in Southern California I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him and pick up locally. His number is (760) 807-8968.

I started the table below of suppliers and distributors, and identifying if the supplier's glass was good or not (green is good, red is bad). I also added front and rear windows to the list as well, but not sure if each supplier produces all four pieces. I know PGW doesn't make anything besides windshields for second gen F-body. Unfortunately I returned the OER side windows before noting the DOT number but I did list their crappy rear window I got from them, it may or may not be the same number. The NPD rep told me over the phone that they use a supplier called JR Distributor International but that doesn't jive with the DOT 686 number, so maybe they switched suppliers??

If anyone wants to share their experience with their glass and the DOT number in order to build out this table further, that would be helpful. It would be interesting to know who the suppliers are for AMD and Auto City Classics. Also with more data it will help determine if a supplier is consistent on their quality.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:25:52 PM by Gene-73 »
Gene

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Reproduction Glass Quality
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »
Wow, fantastic write-up. I’m sure this will help someone. Maybe even me someday if I ever decide to cough up some cash to replace my scratched windows. For now, they spend most of their time down anyway.

For what we it’s worth, which is probably little, the way I understand it Pilkington owns what used to be LOF. LOF HQ was based here in Toledo and I live in a suburb of Toledo that was founded by Edward Ford of the Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass company. The factory which once was part of LOF is less than a mile from my house and is now Pilkington.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:12:32 AM »
I installed all new glass from NPD. I'll check the numbers but the side and rear glass is not a perfect match to OEM either. I had to remove one of the inner pads on both doors so th glass would go up and down. I'll get some measurements of the curvature for you too.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 06:36:53 AM »
Yes great write up/information. I will get the numbers off of all the glass I have in the next day or two. I am looking for a new windshield and finding one without ant. is hard. I think Classic does have it. I would really like to get new side glass but shyed away after Genes experience. Now I know what to look for I may risk it.

b_hill,  when my brother was driving a truck he would haul a very specific sand from Canada to Ohio for glass making. Not sure exactly where he went though.  May have been  your neighbor.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »
For what we it’s worth, which is probably little, the way I understand it Pilkington owns what used to be LOF. LOF HQ was based here in Toledo and I live in a suburb of Toledo that was founded by Edward Ford of the Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass company. The factory which once was part of LOF is less than a mile from my house and is now Pilkington.

Right. There is additional detail on the history of LOF in the article I linked from the Camaro Research Group. Here's a snippet.
LOF was purchased by Pilkington, which was then purchased by Japanese supplier NSG (Nippon Sheet Glass), which then abandoned the LOF trade name in order to consolidate global operations. While LOF glass for classic restorations had been reissued for a time under Pilkington management, that classic glass division was shut down after the NSG acquisition and those products with vintage markings are no longer available from NSG/Pilkington.

The DOT database shows the supplier for the Pilkington glass that I bought as AutoTemp, Inc. in Batavia, Ohio. They have a web site (https://autotempinc.com/) and appear to be a separate entity from Pilkington. I actually tried contacting AutoTemp directly to see if by chance they had other distributors where we could still get this glass. The person I talked to said I need to speak to Tom who was away from his desk in the plant. Tried a couple times but he never called me back. I eventually gave up on this supplier but I still wonder what the answer would be.
Gene

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »
I installed all new glass from NPD. I'll check the numbers but the side and rear glass is not a perfect match to OEM either. I had to remove one of the inner pads on both doors so th glass would go up and down. I'll get some measurements of the curvature for you too.

The NPD glass I bought didn't have any other markings aside from the DOT number which is located in the middle of the glass along the bottom edge. Easy to see if your door panels are off.
Gene

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
I am looking for a new windshield and finding one without ant. is hard. I think Classic does have it.

The PGW windshield I had installed seems to be very good quality. Mine has a the antenna but PGW may have it without. Price was comparable to OER and AMD brands.

The thing is though, I haven't run across any vendor that sells PGW directly to consumers. My glass installer procured the windshield directly from the supplier.
Gene

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 03:13:58 PM »
Thanks thats good to know. I had the installer provide the windshield and installation for my 77, just not sure that guy is still in the business.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 09:47:21 PM »
Excellent write-up. Did you take any photos of the glass being setup using the 3D-printed gauge blocks? I think someone posted a couple but it may have been pre-crash on that particular post.

I have a set of tinted Golden Star Auto door glass, made in Taiwan from memory. I thought they were no longer available but seems the GSA restoration parts company is based in Texas, and supply places like Tamraz's and Jegs. I haven't installed to comment, perhaps someone else has used this brand?

https://goldenstarauto.com/ResultPage.aspx?c=1&sc=539&pi=1
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:31:16 AM by Wallington »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »
I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but I really like my Auto City Classic glass.  It's considerably thicker than the OER glass I had earlier, and is available in a few different colors.  The rear window and door glass in grey cost me $500 shipped buying from them on eBay.  No need to go buy separate tint as the glass is plenty dark.

Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 05:51:13 PM »
I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but I really like my Auto City Classic glass.  It's considerably thicker than the OER glass I had earlier, and is available in a few different colors.  The rear window and door glass in grey cost me $500 shipped buying from them on eBay.  No need to go buy separate tint as the glass is plenty dark.

Wow, those certainly look good installed and $500 for all three sounds reasonable to me.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 08:42:41 PM »

Do you know the DOT number of the Auto City Classic glass?  It should be etched on the glass somewhere.
Gene

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 05:39:16 AM »
You don't see too many f-bodies with tinted windows, mainly because the rear glass is avoided by many who do it. That glass would be ideal for that, not too dark. I'm still undecided if I wanted to tint my glass, will have it all out at some point and be a good time to access the back.

I emailed GSA about their glass over a week back, no response.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 07:14:13 AM »
I really like the tinted glass, I have it all around (except the windshield) in my work truck. For my t/a I am more on the purist side though and will keep them as is.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »

Do you know the DOT number of the Auto City Classic glass?  It should be etched on the glass somewhere.

I only got the door glass and rear window.  I had my windshield installed by a local shop that had it in stock.  It’s DOT563.
Darryl

Build thread:

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »
I think everyone is aware of this but the Auto City glass is manufactured using gray colored glass.  It’s not tint film.  A bit similar to the green tinted windshield glass.  I guess that’s one drawback - you can’t remove anything to make it lighter🙂

I do like it though - it’s still quite easy to see out of, at least during the day.  Haven’t had a chance to really check it out at night yet.
Darryl

Build thread:

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
    • German F Body Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »
I have installed:

Front: Crinamex - Vitro DOT 46 - great fit
Rear: DOT 371 AS2 (unknown brand, because I bought that window here in Germany, no band is etched on the window) - great fitment too

Side windows:

driver side: OER made (dot unknown), fitment is ok, I could work with it
passenger side: OER made (dot unknown) very poor fitment

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »

I only got the door glass and rear window.  I had my windshield installed by a local shop that had it in stock.  It’s DOT563.

Is the DOT563 referring to the windshield?  It sounds like the windshield that I had installed by a local installer as well, PGW brand with DOT563.
Do you have the DOT number for the side/rear window from Auto City Classic Glass?

I have installed:

Front: Crinamex - Vitro DOT 46 - great fit
Rear: DOT 371 AS2 (unknown brand, because I bought that window here in Germany, no band is etched on the window) - great fitment too

Side windows:

driver side: OER made (dot unknown), fitment is ok, I could work with it
passenger side: OER made (dot unknown) very poor fitment

Interesting to hear about Crinamex/Vitro. I haven't run across that brand yet with any of the sellers in the US. I'll add it to the table.
Apparently they are a major player. I just ran across this page that outlines some of the major glass companies and their back story - http://www.phoenixglass.biz/windshield-and-auto-glass-brands-we-sell.htm
It's interesting to see who bought who in this space.

Thanks for posting your info guys.
Gene

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
    • German F Body Forum
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:28:20 AM »
The Crinamex / Vitro windshield is with a blue tinted upper area and a windshield antenna.

The rear windows glass is with rear defroster.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 02:22:25 PM »
Does anyone have a idea where to get date code windshield without a antennae?  ECS does not have what I am looking for.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »
Does anyone have a idea where to get date code windshield without a antennae?  ECS does not have what I am looking for.

Auto City Classic is the only place that I know of that does the date coding, but looking at their web site I only see the windshields with the antenna. Might be worth giving them a call and see if they can source one.
https://www.autocityclassic.com/classic-auto-glass/
Gene

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »
Hey Gene - DOT563 is the windshield.  I vaguely recall it being PGW.  Not seeing any DOT references on the door and rear glass from Auto City.
Darryl

Build thread:

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
How was the fitment on tinted the Auto city glass? Just curious how it worked out.
Jim

quote author=stros link=topic=83409.msg1156#msg1156 date=1616975015]

[/quote]
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:55 PM »
Hey Jim - the Auto City glass fits great.  No issues at all.

Darryl
Darryl

Build thread:

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 09:18:34 PM »
Great post! I can confirm Gene's findings after going through this process myself. Stay away from OER side windows, they have way too much curvature and you would be lucky to even get them in your doors. My Pilkington glass fit fine.
Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 09:18:34 PM »

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 10:16:44 PM »
Any grey tinted back lights with the defroster wires?

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
Gene! Thanks for writing about this again, and for adding the extra info! I read your older post that apparently has been lost. I haven't been on the forum for a while, and only now just discovered your re-write.

Since I have the AMD glass, I can tell you the DOT number. It's DOT 371.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:38:37 PM by Grand73Am »

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
    • German F Body Forum
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 01:25:15 PM »
I bought a set from NPD (DOT 686) and had a different glass in my storage, it was a OER (DOT 371 AS2).

Last week I had change my other side glasses, I bought them from YearOne a few years ago. Same DOT number what the NPD ones cames with (DOT 686 from Hugger Performance). It's exactly the same glass what NPD had delivered to me.

But I really need to say, on my Hurst Hatch gen 1 - 1978 Firebird T/A, the OER glass are fit much better than the DOT 686 glass do.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:26:54 AM by Pega_de »

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »
I just installed the Auto City tinted glass on the driver side door. It fit very well and I like the tinted glass as well. The tint is not too dark, not too light, just right. I used a set of alignment blocks and all I can say is how much easier that made the alignment. I had the window installed and aligned within 20 minutes. Everything seemed to fit just as it should.
Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »
I just installed the Auto City tinted glass on the driver side door. It fit very well and I like the tinted glass as well. The tint is not too dark, not too light, just right. I used a set of alignment blocks and all I can say is how much easier that made the alignment. I had the window installed and aligned within 20 minutes. Everything seemed to fit just as it should.
Jim

Thanks for your report about the Auto City glass. Can you tell us what the DOT number is on them?

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
I’ll have to double check but here are some pics of the data stickers on them.
Jim

1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 12:30:05 AM »
Interesting info. I never opened my glass, beyond checking survived the trip. Didn't note any paperwork or etched manufacturer or standards details. Likely wouldn't have seen anyway. Would this be a requirement? I know windscreens it is, but can imagine some of these repro parts fly under the radar and get rebranded constantly and then disappear again.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
Interesting info. I never opened my glass, beyond checking survived the trip. Didn't note any paperwork or etched manufacturer or standards details. Likely wouldn't have seen anyway. Would this be a requirement? I know windscreens it is, but can imagine some of these repro parts fly under the radar and get rebranded constantly and then disappear again.
Ben - My understanding is that it's a legal requirement for auto glass to have a DOT number etched somewhere. My side windows have it center bottom, below the belt line so it's not visible once installed and door panels are on.

I’ll have to double check but here are some pics of the data stickers on them.
Jim
Jim - Based on the sticker information it appears that the DOT number is 641 which looks to be a unique supplier compared to the other vendors. Do you see this number on the rear window also?

Since I have the AMD glass, I can tell you the DOT number. It's DOT 371.
Steve - Is this for the side windows or rear window, or both? How is the fitment and clarity - good, bad, or somewhere in between? My rear window is terrible to see through due to waves in the glass.

I've updated the table at the beginning of this thread with all the latest information. Thanks to everyone who supplied their info. I do see some trends. DOT686 seems to be the supplier for several merchants and the quality is reported to be good across the board. DOT371 is the supplier for both OER and AMD and quality is hit or miss.
Gene

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 11:02:29 PM »
I will check on the DOT numbers on the windows this weekend.
Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
    • German F Body Forum
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 03:51:33 AM »
Steve - Is this for the side windows or rear window, or both? How is the fitment and clarity - good, bad, or somewhere in between? My rear window is terrible to see through due to waves in the glass.

I've updated the table at the beginning of this thread with all the latest information. Thanks to everyone who supplied their info. I do see some trends. DOT686 seems to be the supplier for several merchants and the quality is reported to be good across the board. DOT371 is the supplier for both OER and AMD and quality is hit or miss.
My OER DOT 371 fits much better on my 78 Hurst T Top T/A than the DOT686 ones from Hugger (YearOne). Maybe an T Top thing?

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 04:53:22 AM »
Or existing adjustments.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Jim

Nice glad it worked out for you Jim.  Looks like the same experience as mine. 
Darryl

Build thread:

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 02:11:22 PM »
This is really a valuable thread. I would have just assumed all reproduction glass would be usable and in tolerance. Fortunately I don’t need any glass right now but if I do this will save me a lot of headaches and legwork. Thanks to all who contributed!
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 08:24:54 PM »
Since no one else seems to have the 'Golden Star' brand reproduction glass I decided to do some more digging. I emailed the company in the US directly again, and once again no response and another missed sale for all they know. I saw that Jegs still had some old stock of the same part numbers, but only use the same stock photos. I emailed them, not expecting much, asking if they came with paperwork or etched details of the standards met. "No, they have nothing and you don't need it anyway". Right, can I get fries then, instead?

So I dragged my stored set out, from behind several boxes of parts and opened one up. Turns out they are the same as already mentioned above. GM Restoration parts clear sticker and etched Hugger Performance DOT 686 at base.

Golden Star repro Firebird door glass tinted RH  (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Golden Star repro Firebird door glass tinted RH  (4) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
Here is the DOT number on the glass I got from All City Looks like DOT516 for the side windows. I haven’t received the front or rear glass year but will post when I do.
Jim

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 12:54:06 PM by 737driver »
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird