Author Topic: Vacuum line help for sniper efi  (Read 634 times)

Mileswinger

• Active Forum Member
  • 1977 trans am 403
Vacuum line help for sniper efi
« on: November 06, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
Does anybody have know where the vacuum lines from the charcoal canister as well as the fuel pump go in trying to install a sniper efi and the wiring is easy but I’m not familiar with all of the vacuum lines and what I need to replace and hookup to the actual sniper unit
1977 trans am 403

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
Re: Vacuum line help for sniper efi
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 11:59:59 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to convert to an in-tank fuel pump system with a regulator? At that point you can just remove the charcoal canister.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »
I don't know if you have a purge valve of some sort or not on the sniper.  The canister is very simple - the carburetor fuel bowl and the fuel tank were vented to it on the later cars.  When the engine is running, you need a little air bleed sucking on it, and that's all you need.  There was no control on it, no need for it.  when you're driving, it sucks air through the carbon and eventually it dries out most of the gas that's stuck to the carbon.  That's all it is.

If the sniper doesn't have some provision for "canister purge" specifically, then you could hook it to distributor vacuum advance and that work for the canister itself.  That'll kill the advance signal, though, so don't do that if you are using a distributor with vacuum advance.  If you don't have a good port for that, you could get some benefit by venting it inboard of the air filter.  The air filter would have a little bit of pressure drop and that would make it pull a little bit.

I did some googling and I didn't find much.  On the Dominator EFI, there was some discussion about creating a custom output, and using that output to turn on a solenoid valve in the purge line.  If you can do that, you want to set it up so that it's only open above some non-idle RPM like maybe 1000 or 1500.  That would then be able to run on manifold vacuum, which you hook as many things as you want to that.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:59:42 AM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
  • @sapgarage
    • SAP Garage & Escape Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:36:08 PM »
I'm late to this thread, but I am running a Sniper Quadrajet EFI on my Olds 403 and I am not using the canister at all. Do you need to reinstall that for your emissions or just preference? I am also running the Holley in tank pump that does not require a return line - it returns in the tank itself. Happy to post photos or answer any questions - you may have this all worked out already. 
@sapgarage

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:36:08 PM »
You can help support TAC!