Author Topic: 1981 Trans Am LS Swap parts list  (Read 1039 times)

In Relentless Pursuit

• Active Forum Member
  • EAST BOUND & DOWN !!!
1981 Trans Am LS Swap parts list
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:50:01 PM »
I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong section ..Can someone point me in the direction where there is a list of what I need to do LS Swap ? Thanks in Advance !
1980 Trans Am / T - Top / 400/ TH 350

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: 1981 Trans Am LS Swap parts list
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 04:29:10 AM »
I'd have tobdoba search and see if anything is left after the site crash.

I did a LS swap and absolutely love it. My suggestion is to try to find a F body donor.  I bought a whole perfect condition 1998 TA and parted it out for more than I paid for it and I kept a bunch of it for my swap. I basically dropped the whole engine, trand and wiring harness right into my car. I used Dirty Dingo adjustable mouth which kept me from notching the front subframe for the alternator.  I used a corvette fuel filter and a EFI fuel tank (pump in tank). I even left the radiator attached and swapped out my steering box for a later (1989 Z28) box so the 1998 factor power steering lines could be used. I made my own wiring harness to power up the ecm.

Hopefully others will chime in with there swap parts list and other suggestions.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 08:36:11 AM »
I did this with my 79 among other things:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718107&page=4

I would disagree on the F Body LS1 route - much better options now.  A GM crate LS3 will run about 10k. 

Do your homework - a lot of options are now available.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
I got most of my LS3 swap parts from BRP or used their site to figure out what parts I needed.
http://www.brphotrods.com/products/2nd%20gen%20F%20products/index.html

I tried to rebuild my old restoration thread which has some related info. 
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83837.0

If you can afford it the LS3 is fantastic.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 11:44:33 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »
I would disagree on the F Body LS1 route - much better options now.  A GM crate LS3 will run about 10k.

You are right, there may be better options now. But I did my swap for about $1000. Can't beat that for LS power and efficiency.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
that book is worthless - better info on forums.

ex:  they say a custom PS hose is needed.  Bullsnoose.  1999-04 Corvette hose does the trick for under $30.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
First thing you want to do when planning out an LS swap is determine your budget. Then once you have your budget multiply it by 1.25x because you will always run into things you didn't expect.  8)

Whatever the motor you choose, make sure that you get an engine mounting system that all matches. You need to have motor mounts, trans mount, headers, oil pan and engine accessories that will all work together. The LS1 from a 98-02 f-body is a great go to motor for 2nd gen's because the oil pan and engine accessories fit really well in the engine bays with most all mounts. I'd still recommend one of those LS1's because they can be found now for a very reasonable price. Or if you are going with a crate motor or truck, the pan and accessories are what I'd be looking for. Holley in my opinion does the best job of getting the engines as low as possible in the engine bay which gives you the best shot at driveline angles and not cutting the trans tunnel.

Fuel delivery is another issue. Holley makes a nice drop pump that drops into your existing tank and is good for around 450 HP. If you are under that mark, that would be my choice if the tank is in good shape. Otherwise if you need a new tank anyway, I'd be looking at a Rick's Restomod tank and run a 5th gen SS Camaro pump.

Wiring/ECU. Hands down I would recommend going with the Terminator X ECU over a factory unit. It makes so much sense in a swap application because it is so versatile. You get brand new wiring and a very powerful ECU. The stock tune file will get you up and running and the fuel tables will learn with feedback from the wideband O2.

Those are really the biggie issues that will get you up and running. You have several other things to consider as well, such as gauges but those are subject to your taste.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
You can help support TAC!