Author Topic: Quadrajet fuel filter discussion  (Read 975 times)

BlueBaron762x39

• Active Forum Member
Quadrajet fuel filter discussion
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:36:32 PM »
What fuel filters are recommended for quadrajets?  I'm specifically looking for information on 1979 f-body quadrajets.  Is everyone still using the original style paper filters that are located in the inlet on the carburetor or is it generally recommended to relocate the fuel filter somewhere else within the fuel line?  I've read about some bronze fuel filters that might be available but I don't know if these work in the quadrajets or not or if they are better than the paper.

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: Quadrajet fuel filter discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
After several unscheduled "Road Side Adventures" over the years with several different GM vehicles, I have installed a "Prefilter", depending on the model, somewhere before the Fuel Pump. In the case of my 78 Project, I found a Rubber Hose connection just under the drivers side, behind the wheel house. I chose one of those See Thru filters so you can easily see if its got any crud in it. Its far enough up under the car that I don't think anything would ever hit it, and the "Flex Hose" that's there already is rubber anyway, so depending on the filter you chose, only a small section of the hose is replaced. I found it when I was replacing the Subframe. I hope this helps. 

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
I don't know if sintered bronze is still available, but they will fit a QJ.  They are basically permanent, I guess, but not entirely reliable.  The QJ filters are really simple how they fit, and they had a spring behind them, so if they get stopped up, they would just push off the inlet.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
I just use the stock long-style paper filters with the check-valve for mine, and I replace it yearly.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »
I don't know if sintered bronze is still available, but they will fit a QJ.  They are basically permanent, I guess, but not entirely reliable.  The QJ filters are really simple how they fit, and they had a spring behind them, so if they get stopped up, they would just push off the inlet.
Ya...that pushing off the inlet is fine if your a couple of blocks from home or the local auto parts store and you have tools....Not so much when your 100 miles from the next town in the middle of no where. I had a nearly full tank of gas and the best I could get was 10mph...anything more and it almost would not start when it died. All it took was a bad load of gas at the last station. Easy to slip another filter in before the pump.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »

BlueBaron762x39

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »
Ya...that pushing off the inlet is fine if your a couple of blocks from home or the local auto parts store and you have tools....Not so much when your 100 miles from the next town in the middle of no where. I had a nearly full tank of gas and the best I could get was 10mph...anything more and it almost would not start when it died. All it took was a bad load of gas at the last station. Easy to slip another filter in before the pump.

So your actually running two fuel filters then?  Both the original paper filter in the quadrajet fuel inlet and an additional inline filter within the rubber fuel line joint behind the driver's side front wheel? 

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
Exactly....Every time I'm under the car I can see it and its an easy change out with minimum loss of gas and mess. That's on the 78. On my other vehicles, I put it before the Fuel Pump.  On the 78 that short section of hose is for the connection between the subframe and the body. That's how I found it...Small puddle of gas. 

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
I run two, one for the grit, the other to keep the original needle and seat and fuel valve stuff as designed.
There's 2 filter sizes based on the Qjet filter housing, long and short.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
You can help support TAC!