Author Topic: olds 403 rebuild  (Read 933 times)

Mileswinger

• Active Forum Member
  • 1977 trans am 403
olds 403 rebuild
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
So a few years ao when i was 14 i bought my first trans am it was a little rough but i had two years before i could drive to fix it up. So I did all the interioir first and then tires rims rewired most of the car and did the paint and everything but i was always intimidated my the engine until a few months ago when my trans went out and i found my self pulling it out of the car. I then learned how much I actually like the engine side of things. One thing led to another and now my engine is on a stand in my garage torn down to the block and im wanting to rebuild it. But the problem is I cant figure out all of the number crunching and specs that would be best in My 403. So i came to here i figure there is some way more experienced people here then me when it comes to engine and trans am work. With that said I have never bought engine parts before but i am looking at this listing it seems to be the most bang for my buck but is this a good kit or too good to be true, https://oldsrocketparts.com/index.php/product/the-ultimate-oldsmobile-69-cc-403-and-late-350-top-end-kit/
also if i was too install a kit like this I dont think i would need that much machine shop work right?
1977 trans am 403

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: olds 403 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
Did you have the engine running or tested prior to know if a suitable core with good compression to simply do a head and cam swap? You'll also need to see what intake works with the heads. They often req a high rise on similar setups which can be fun in a TA.

Mileswinger

• Active Forum Member
  • 1977 trans am 403
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
Ya it was running great before I take it out and I’ve got a preformer 350 olds edelbrock intake with a Holley sniper on top and do you think I would need new pistons with this kit?
1977 trans am 403

TOG 6

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »
Ya it was running great before I take it out and I’ve got a preformer 350 olds edelbrock intake with a Holley sniper on top and do you think I would need new pistons with this kit?
If the engine runs OK, doesn't make any strange noises, doesn't burn oil or or dump coolant into the oil pan and you plan ti just drive it you likely do not need to rebuild it.

A mild cam and head swap will work wonders, and get you the most bang for the buck.
-#5-6-7-7a heads, big valves, and machine off the AIR bungs from the exhaust ports
- Mild cam - something like this:
https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/SK42-208-4/10002/-1
-The aluminum 350 Performer intake is perfect.   You don't have much play in the intake because you need to keep close to stock carb height.
- Headers and duals with an X-pipe

You will likely need to fatten your carb up some.   HEI shoud be OK.
Don't know what you have for a rear gear - you may find you need a taller gear and a slightly looser TC

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 09:53:25 PM »
Best early heads are 1967 #4 heads. Have cores if interested.  Cores….Bare. 
1979 Trans Am (Red)
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams (Dads)
2023 Mercedes E63s AMG Special Order

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 09:53:25 PM »