Author Topic: Recommendations for Rear Window Louvers  (Read 1403 times)

MO 1979 TA

• Active Forum Member
Recommendations for Rear Window Louvers
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
Hi - Wanting to add rear window louvers to my 79 TA and have found YearOne, Classic Industries and Summit all offer them. Any personal experience with which brand is better? I have an assumption they are all made by one manufacture but the price difference on some is pretty extreme; and they are all ABS plastic.

Sorry if this has been hashed out before but with all the older posts wiped out it's harder to search...

Thanks

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Recommendations for Rear Window Louvers
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »
Im with FBparts on those. I like the look of the 3 piece. Never cared for the one piece wrap around.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
Those are not an Interpart reproduction.

They are a Hammond reproduction, it is still the same company albeit with a new name. They became Astra-Hammond and now called Willpak. The parts are not the same, probably close to identical. The sides are now textured ABS instead of aluminium. The hinge has changed, there is no rod to support while cleaning, never was.

I think the sides are better than Interpart, in this design, whereas the Centre sits taller and more aggressive, likely 90% as good as Interpart in appearance alone. I have both NOS and don't know which I'd install, if at all.

And yes, they are nearly all the same part and use the same stock photos. Find the best price with oversize shipping.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 12:59:31 AM by Wallington »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »
I see every once in awhile someone post about louvers. Are they still desirable?  I saw a couple of nice sets at Hershey a few years ago and passed them up. Maybe if I see any next week I may get a set.  I had them on my 82 bird but it was a daily driver and they made a big difference. I would not think about them now.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 08:14:22 PM »
It's the whole retro thing and putting car back to original, or at least those times.
But I think a lot of it is also once something becomes hard to find, or intact and good condition, they become desireable to those who weren't as bothered before. Not only do they store them away, just in case (ahem) they also grab them when they show up to resell, and occasionally even use.
Also, window tint guys don't like the wrap around glass on these, I was advised by one years ago when chatting, to just put a rear louver on instead, easier said than done sometimes, even back then you couldn't simply go find one and ship around the world!

Yes, a 3rd Gen would make a difference, half the car is rear glass! They also look good with window tint. Some of the older classics, basically anything with chrome, can look odd at times, especially very dark tint, if the rest stock. My car already has the factory green tint glass, if I went further it would still be a minimum tint to add slightly more, but not noticeably more, maybe protect the glass from scratching for an extra year or two!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:19:06 PM by Wallington »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »
I see every once in awhile someone post about louvers. Are they still desirable?  I saw a couple of nice sets at Hershey a few years ago and passed them up. Maybe if I see any next week I may get a set.  I had them on my 82 bird but it was a daily driver and they made a big difference. I would not think about them now.

I don't know that they're "desirable" but they're nostalgic.  They probably do keep the interior a little cooler, but most of us wouldn't spend all that much time in there.  Not like you might have 40 years ago.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

MO 1979 TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 05:26:17 PM »
I actually do not like/prefer the 3 piece but thanks for the info!

I think its all personal preference like most things - paint color, wheel choice, etc. My car has a custom and wild paint scheme from the early 80s (been sitting in a garage since ~85) that would compliment louvers perfectly. Surprised it did not have one already to match the Hooker rollbar or hurst shifter.

If summit gets them back in stock will probably go that route and thanks for all the input!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »
The one-piece are fixed to the glass, the 3-piece are hinged for cleaning.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!