Author Topic: Recommendations for Fire extinguisher  (Read 1760 times)

b3nny

• Active Forum Member
    • My TA
Recommendations for Fire extinguisher
« on: September 10, 2021, 06:11:33 AM »
Hi after getting a shock the other day and inspecting some very old suspect wires, i think it might be good to get a fire extinguisher for inside my TA. - Just in case. Anyone have any recommendations for type and or mounting techniques, where to buy etc. I see on amazon they sell kits for roll bars, obviously not going to work in my TA but there must be something.

Thanks
JB
1980 Turbo TA (Olds 403)
My TA

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Recommendations for Fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
I have a small one in my car. I think its a generic abc. I have them in all of my vehicles, every car should have one. I do admit that mine is on the floor behind the pass seat which is not ideal. In the event of a crash it can become a projectile, but that may be the least of my worries if that happens. I have been tempted to screw the mounting bracket to the 'hump' right behind the console. I think 'halon' may be recommended for cars as they cause less damage than a regular one but they are quite pricey.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »
I haven’t purchased one yet, which I now regret cause the price has increased, but I plan to get one of these …

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/buckeye-2-5-lb-halotron-fire-extinguisher-with-fixed-nozzle-and-dot-vehicle-bracket-rechargeable-untagged-ul-rating-2-b-c/47270251.html

and also keep a standard extinguisher in the trunk. Standard ones are inexpensive enough but the halotron (or halon if they’re still available. I think they may not be) are good for interior fires. They use gas to displace oxygen and suffocate the fire, including electrical fires, without leaving a mess of chemical powder behind. Obviously between leaving a mess of powder and having your car burn up the powder is the lesser of two evils but I still like the idea of trying the halotron extinguisher first if possible and then resorting to a standard chemical extinguisher.

It sucks they increased in price though. They used to only be like $85.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 07:24:52 AM »
I have a Halon substitute but don't recall the name at the moment.  Mine too is located behind the drivers seat but wrapped in bubble warp with an opened end.  Trunk is not a good idea.  Had someone post that a fire started at the fuel cap and he was not able to open the trunk.  ABC is a last resort.  The chemicals are quite corrosive.  If it is an electrical fire first thing is to disconnect the battery, which can only be done with a quick disconnect.

It's what b_hill has.  ^^
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:01:46 AM by 81Blackbird »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »
I have a Halon substitute but don't recall the name at the moment.  Mine too is located behind the drivers seat but wrapped in bubble warp with an opened end.  Trunk is not a good idea.  Had someone post that a fire started at the fuel cap and he was not able to open the trunk.  ABC is a last resort.  The chemicals are quite corrosive.  If it is an electrical fire first thing is to disconnect the battery, which can only be done with a quick disconnect.

It's what b_hill has.  ^^

Wished he had lol.
-Brian-

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »
I said halon but after posting I thought that I read that they are not available anymore. There is a 'car specific' type of extinguisher I suppose its the halon substitute.
I would think trunk is the last place for one. Like mentioned when and if needed it will be an emergency, one doesnt want to have to fumble around to find it. May not be your car that needs it but someone elses. I know ABC isnt the best choice but better than nothing. I think I would rather repair extinguisher damage than a lost car.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
Kerry, truth be told, I somehow missed you even mentioning halon. It may be available still. I’m not sure. And I agree. I wouldn’t keep my only extinguisher in the trunk but maybe a backup.
-Brian-

b3nny

• Active Forum Member
    • My TA
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 05:31:27 AM »
Great replies i cant find Halon online really anywhere. Still struggling to find a car variant. But you guys have encouraged me to NOT use the trunk! Thanks.
JB
1980 Turbo TA (Olds 403)
My TA

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 06:52:00 AM »
I think Griots Garage had car specific extinguishers in their catalogue at one time, give them a try. 
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

80TAPaceCar

• Active Forum Member
  • This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Turbo Trans Am Indy Pace Car
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
Personally, I like these.

https://elementfire.com/collections/allproducts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K99LPQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not cheap, but compact and I have seen them in action.  There are different models on how long you want them to last.

Later
Kev

1979 Chevrolet Corvette
1979 El Camino SS
1980 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
1980 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am
1983 El Camino
2005 Impala SS

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

firebirdforrest

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 Formula
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »
Holy Cow! That thing is inexpensive. I may have to go to their site and order a couple.  I dont think I have ever seen an extinguisher for less than $40!!!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »
Thanks for putting the bug in my head. I think about fires often. Things go down hill really fast and being able to react to a fire in seconds can make all the difference in saving or losing your car. I will go to Menards tonight and pick up a couple.

When I did my engine upgrade I made sure all electrical was done right and fused properly. I was extra cautious with my fuel system too. Anyone driving an old car needs to double check their electrical and fuel systems. Things deteriorate as they age, and who knows how well repairs were done before you owned the car.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 09:40:45 PM »
I bought this halotron fire extinguisher for my Firebird - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQ5NE/
It was a little cheaper last year when I purchased it, around $110. If you go with a dry chemical extinguisher and use it in the engine bay, you risk getting the dry powder inside your engine which can completely ruin it. I figured it's worth spending a little more just for this reason.

The mounting location choices in the cockpit are either going to be front passenger footwell, rear passenger footwell, or on top of the center rear transmission tunnel. Since I didn't want to drill holes in the tunnel and didn't want to see it continuously in the front, I opted for the rear passenger footwell. I don't plan on carrying rear seat passengers so this was the best location for me.

I fabricated a U-shaped bracket that mounts to the seat bolts. The extinguisher came with a quick release holder, which I bolted to my bracket, so didn't have to purchase a separate one. You can see the results in the photo below.
Gene

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 03:34:03 AM »
Bringing back an onld thread here.

I am going to add an extinguisher to my car here soon. I like the way Gene mounted his and that is the direction I'm going to take.

The sudden interest in this came the other day. I was parked in Mt parent driveway which is only a year old concrete and as I was walking to my car to leave I noticed a puddle under the rear differential. I apologized to my father for the cars sudden oil leak and possibly ruining his driveway.  As I crawled under the car I realized it was gas. Long story short a brass fitting split on my fuel line (I have efi) and  was spraying out lucky at the tank and not the muffler or the tail pipe that was right next to it.

I had a flashback to the images someone posted on here of the rear of the car getting burned up. I did my best to slow the leak and drove it home. Luckily without incident but I was really worried as I didn't have a fire extinguisher and neither did my dad (I have to get them one (or 3) now too).

Just curious if anyone else has mounting ideas or locations.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 03:34:03 AM »