Author Topic: Adapter plate for 1977 intake to edelbrock carb  (Read 804 times)

DirtyWhite77

• Active Forum Member
Adapter plate for 1977 intake to edelbrock carb
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
My 77 trans am came with a 403, has a 72 400 in it. That had a crusty Torker 1 manifold on it so I found a factory 77 400 intake painted it all up made plates to clock off the passages in the side and mounted it. I used a square brow to spread bore adapter. 

My carb mounting surface looks like the intake depicted here 3/4 the way down. 1975 and on with the d shaped rear ports. https://www.pontiacdiy.com/rebuild-pontiac-v-8-factory-parts-guide/

So under the adapter there’s a cavity under the front with a hole leading down to the egr port cover and a 1/4 inch taken out of the front of secondaries. I know this is messing up my air/fuel mixture with all the hard edges. Is there any adapter to fix this?

If I didn’t care about it I’d look into modifying the manifold but I don’t want to modify an original piece. I payed about $100 for this intake, It’ll make nice wall art if I can’t find someone to take it. I’d post pics myself but I don’t think I can yet.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Adapter plate for 1977 intake to edelbrock carb
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »
Originally, they had a piece of tin in there.  I guess really it was aluminum.  It basically made the exhaust recirculation go where they wanted it to go, and it had a bit of a venturi edge to it on the primaries.  No help for the secondaries though. 

I looked using google for a picture, but I couldn't fine one. You're quite right to say that shape isn't right without that baffle.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:16:04 AM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »
I am at a loss to what your asking in your original post.

Are you looking for the special plate that sat under the original Quadrajet carb for that original manifold?

Why On earth anyone would want to put a Square bore Edlbrock on a Spread bore manifold is beyond me any way.
The Original Quadra jet is a far superior and Much better Carburetor in my opinion and was designed to be used with that manifold.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither!
B. Franklin

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!