Author Topic: Making ends on metal tubing...?  (Read 767 times)

NY81TTASE

• Active Forum Member
  • '81 turbo trans am SE
Making ends on metal tubing...?
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:02:28 AM »
Soon I'll need to replace my fuel line from the tank up to the pump. I will probably go with buying a coiled length instead of pre bent lines.   When a rubber hose is attached to an end, the end is usually a bulge/bead.  I only have a flaring kit.  What do you guys do to the ends to make sure the rubber hose stays on?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:12:13 AM by NY81TTASE »
1981 turbo trans am se

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Making ends on metal tubing...?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
I'm not sure, but too bad they don't make miniature "sharkbites" for that purpose.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »
A little single will help, if that's all you can make but it's not entirely necessary.  I have not made any hose retaining 'bumps' ever, but it depends a whole lot of whether you have nice tools or cheap tools.  I have cheap tools.

I've seen this for people with cheap tools.  Could be good.  Steel is harder, of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcnTMftkNZ8
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
I think there are basically three options:

1 - just cut the tube off square and slip a hose over and clamp with a worm-gear clamp.  It's kinda cheap-and-dirty / hack-like but it WILL work.

2 - Same as above except use a flare tool that will make "bubble" flares and flare a bubble at the end of the tubing where you want to attach the hose.  This is similar to the factory lines which have a rounded barb swaged at the end of the lines.

3 - Use fittings - You can flare the tubing and connect a flare-to-NPT female fitting onto the end of the tubing (don't forget to slide the flare nut on before flaring LOL).  Then thread an NPT X hose barb fitting into that.  Alternatively there are a variety of fittings that are similar such as push-on-hose barbs that grip the tubing and have a hose barb etc. 

I frequent garagejournal.com and found a similar discussion over there that had some good info:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/tool-for-creating-fuel-line-barb-fitting.258316/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:14:10 PM by pancho400cid »
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

NY81TTASE

• Active Forum Member
  • '81 turbo trans am SE
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies.   The sharkbites isn't bad but I would trust a compression coupling with brass ferrules more, I think.

Firebirdparts....I have an old flaring kit I bought 30 years ago. I'll see if it still has the fittings. I like what the guy did in the video.

Pancho400cid...if anything, I'll try making a light flare I guess.  I made my own bubble making tool which worked decent with a vice. The tube I experimented on was 5/8 aluminum with a thick wall so eventually the edges started to crack...so I threw out the tool.  Maybe I should make another, just smaller to fit inside.

Thanks
1981 turbo trans am se

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:31 PM »