Author Topic: Manual/Electric heater core bypass on car with AC  (Read 2293 times)

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
Manual/Electric heater core bypass on car with AC
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
I been thinking of getting an electric heater bypass like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEUV98M?pf_rd_r=5ZA4WT0W2C7QE4HK5HQJ&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=a18daf4d-983d-415d-8bc0-e51260859a0d&pd_rd_w=kvQw2&pd_rd_wg=Pz55s&ref_=pd_gw_unk 
But when I went out and actually looked at the engine bay, I see that the whole AC blower and evaporator core just takes up a large amount of room where I would wanted to place the bypass. Now I have to think differently on how I want to do it. The old TransAmCountty had a great post about heater bypass which I bookmarked but is no longer valid. So has anyone add a controlled bypass on an AC car? I don't want to perm bypass it, just want my feet to stop burning in the summer. I eventually will fix the AC leak, but that aint happening until I fix this heating issue.

1980 TA w/ 301 (non-turbo) AC car.
Drive it like it's a rental.

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
Re: Manual/Electric heater core bypass on car with AC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
I just put a manual shutoff on my son's 79 camaro.  It is a 3/4 pex ball valve.  The places for the hoses measure perfectly 5/8 inch.  It is very small and I was able to mostly hide it.

It helped me get the interior vent temps down.  Center vents went from 50 ish at idle to 37 at idle and 33 going down the highway.  All I did was install the block off and adjust the pressure slightly.

I looked at making a bypass but it made the plumbing more complicated in my mind.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
That is exactly what I did.  I placed the handle down and painted the brass black.  I took the handle off because it is unsightly and keep it in the console.  When late fall or winter comes around I open it up. Spring and Summer I close it.  $10 and 15 min.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-3-4-in-Brass-PEX-Barb-x-PEX-Barb-Ball-Valve-Lead-Free-111-5-34-34/312480622#overlay
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:43:59 PM by 81Blackbird »

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:43:24 PM »
Jeremy,  what is your setup the you get such low temps?

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 03:02:08 PM »
I probably over complicated my setup but I used a vacuum operated valve attached to an electric vacuum solenoid wired to a small switch under the dash. The valve is open at rest and the solenoid is closed at rest. So, switch off, no vacuum = valve is open. Or if either piece fails it should cause the valve to remain open which is what I wanted. Flip the switch, solenoid opens and provides vacuum which closes the valve. It seems to help and would be easy to wire into the AC controls if you wanted. One thing I added was a check valve on the vacuum line to prevent loss of vacuum at heavy acceleration from allowing the valve to open. Not sure how well that works.

I would just assume try the manual ball valve in the future for simplicity too though.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 03:02:08 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
My Vintage Air setup came with a single electric ball valve, but a manual unit will work fine - only need to block one hose.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:58:30 PM »
As easy as installing a vacuum heater tap that taps into the vacuum controls of the AC controls.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »
Early 2nd gens had a vacuum operated valve on the passenger inner fender. They're controlled by the HVAC mechanisms.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:07:02 AM »
So, you only need to block one line? You don't need to send the fkow back to the inlet of the water pump? Mine may be different as it is an LS engine though.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 03:28:40 AM »
In the case of an LS I'd be using the original heater tap to suit that vehicle, usually vacuum-controlled also, rigged off the factory control unit that redirects vacuum under different settings and whatever suits.

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »
Jeremy, 81Blackbird, do either of you have pictures of how it turned out?

b_hill_86, that sounds like what I want to do but electrical I figured would have been easier, but do you have pictures of your setup?

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
So, you only need to block one line? You don't need to send the fkow back to the inlet of the water pump? Mine may be different as it is an LS engine though.
We had a lengthy debate about this.  I say no.  On the original setup, the heater core bypasses the cylinder head.  So it would be better, I think, to block the flow.  That would force more water through the cylinder heads.  not sure how your is piped up, though.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »
Yes you have to be careful. Some engine circuits you cannot shut off, you have to create a bypass to complete the circuit. My LS is this way.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 02:36:19 PM »

Needs to be touched up but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:34:25 AM by 81Blackbird »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
This is the best picture I have on my phone. I can take more if you’d like but it won’t be till I’m back home Sunday. It’s the two brass looking items
-Brian-

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »
This is the best picture I have on my phone. I can take more if you’d like but it won’t be till I’m back home Sunday. It’s the two brass looking items

I would like a few more pictures, please and thank you. Have a safe trip back home.

Need to be touched up but you go the idea.

If I go the simple way, this looks very clean, Thanks.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »

I would like a few more pictures, please and thank you. Have a safe trip back home.

Need to be touched up but you go the idea.

If I go the simple way, this looks very clean, Thanks.

No problem. I will set a reminder in my phone.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:28:22 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
I have a simple old school valve (plastic knob that's barley noticeable), I'll post a pic.

Regards, Jack

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 06:56:31 AM »
Jeremy,  what is your setup the you get such low temps?

I'm VERY skeptical of 33 degrees.  Even the very best R12 systems don't get below 37 - but he also didn't mention outside temperature - I guess if the outside temp was low enough you could see that.

Mine is in great shape with the proper charge and I'm getting 38 @ 93F on the highway.

I also have a manual bypass (shutoff) valve in the engine compartment.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:01:22 AM by cyber104 »
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2021, 07:38:14 PM »
I’m not sure if you want some other type of picture but I took these two tonight. One is of the vacuum operated valve and the other is the vacuum solenoid. Fairly I expensive parts I got on Amazon I believe. A ball valve would probably work just as well but curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if I could get this to work.
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2021, 09:05:58 PM »

I'm VERY skeptical of 33 degrees.
[/quote]

I had my R-134a blowing 38 at the vents while idling during gassing up, but it would start to freeze up, Then cut out, had to wait for it to warm up and melt at the switch before it would come back on. Even had to tap the switch a few times to trigger it again. Had to bump it back another degree or two. Untested on the road where it would be different. It would be much more efficient at cooling if you could get a constant use out of it at slightly warmer level, rather than cycle and off for several minutes to defrost, while cabin warms up again. But then the pressure leaked so it's all practice.

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
I’m not sure if you want some other type of picture but I took these two tonight. One is of the vacuum operated valve and the other is the vacuum solenoid. Fairly I expensive parts I got on Amazon I believe. A ball valve would probably work just as well but curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if I could get this to work.

Thanks. So if you turn the AC on, it blocks the valve? So if you are just running without AC then the heater core is getting hot coolant? If correct, then that is not what I ultimately want, but like what you did. I want it more like this:
Car off = valve open, coolant flowing
Car running = summer and valve is closed, winter and valve is open.
Car running with AC = valve closed, no coolant.

So it looks like mechanical or electrical is what I want.  I started looking at electric, which might be the best, but then I saw the mechanical one at a car show over the weekend. I already have a manual choke cable that is not connected to the choke that I might be able to use. I have never noticed them before but must have seen tons of them at the NSRA show.

Now my next question would be which hose do I put the valve on. Do I put it on the side before going to the Heater core, or after. I would assume before.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 05:50:15 PM »
You already have vacuum-control for various vents and recirculation, tap into one of those so the setting either opens or closes the heater hose tap to suit.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »

Thanks. So if you turn the AC on, it blocks the valve? So if you are just running without AC then the heater core is getting hot coolant? If correct, then that is not what I ultimately want, but like what you did. I want it more like this:

No, mine is not tied into the AC controls but it could be easily if that’s what someone wanted. Either tap into the idle solenoid or the compressor power before the pressure switch.

Mine is activated by a small switch under the dash I didn’t picture but it functions somewhat like you said.

Car off, no power, no vacuum, valve open. Coolant flows.

Car on, switch on provides vacuum to the valve which closes it. No coolant flow.

Car on, switch off = no vacuum to the valve and the valve remains open at rest. It could be configured the opposite by use of an open-at-rest vacuum solenoid but I wanted it so that if any part failed for some reason it would fail in a way that will allow coolant to flow.

Mine is installed between the head and the heater core. I also added a check valve so when there is a vacuum drop under acceleration the valve doesn’t open. I’m not sure the particular check valve I have works perfectly but I think it helps.
-Brian-

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »

No, mine is not tied into the AC controls but it could be easily if that’s what someone wanted. Either tap into the idle solenoid or the compressor power before the pressure switch.

Mine is activated by a small switch under the dash I didn’t picture but it functions somewhat like you said.

Car off, no power, no vacuum, valve open. Coolant flows.

Car on, switch on provides vacuum to the valve which closes it. No coolant flow.

Car on, switch off = no vacuum to the valve and the valve remains open at rest. It could be configured the opposite by use of an open-at-rest vacuum solenoid but I wanted it so that if any part failed for some reason it would fail in a way that will allow coolant to flow.

Mine is installed between the head and the heater core. I also added a check valve so when there is a vacuum drop under acceleration the valve doesn’t open. I’m not sure the particular check valve I have works perfectly but I think it helps.

Ah, it is much clearer now. That would be what I want. Especially the fail open feature, didn't really think of that. I know it sounds overly complex compared to just a single throw manual valve, but this has peaked my curiosity.  Do you have part numbers for what you put in? I think this would be a great mod to do.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
I ordered them both from Amazon then the toggle was just a parts store buy

Universal Air Conditioner SW 9001C A/C Solenoid Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003R43J2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4424DD1M4EMXDEB5Y2D3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Universal Air Conditioner HV 1022C HVAC Heater Control Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003R33QZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_610M6THRH24PDK3M3R87?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
-Brian-

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
I though the 33 was a little colder than expected.  I used an infrared thermometer from harbor freight for testing.  My 94 Firehawk shows 31-32 at the center vents and my 18 silverado shows 30 for comparison so the gauge may be a little cold.

I used it to test the temps at the center vents on max AC.  I knew the system was low on charge and bringing it up to the desired low side of the pressure range on the gauge that you can get with the cans of Freon got it performing better.

I then used the infrared thermometer to set the pressure.  I'd slowly add freon and wait for a reading on the thermometer.  I kept slowly adding freon until I got no change in the vent temp.  It ended up showing lower then the ideal pressure on the gauge for the outside temp.

Car is a stock 79 camaro with a 305 with only a conversion to R134.

Hope that clears up the confusion on testing methods.  In a nutshell, being meticulous with the charge and adding the block off, got the old system within 2-3 degrees of much more modern AC's.  I know it works as my wife has ridden in it several times with AC and never complains of getting hot.  Black on Black car so it works if the wife is happy.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
You can help support TAC!