Author Topic: Play in new upper control arm bushings  (Read 894 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Play in new upper control arm bushings
« on: June 17, 2021, 02:20:19 PM »
Replacing my upper control arm bushings and also replacing my stock cross shafts with offset shafts. In the video below though you can see the bushing has some play on the new shaft. Is that to be expected and does tightening everything down take up that slack or is this not correct? I don’t have the stock shafts removed from the control arms yet to compare.

https://youtube.com/shorts/IjdVK__dfOU?feature=share
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Play in new upper control arm bushings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
Video doesn't work...says "private".

But if you haven't already figured it out, I'd say there's something wrong if there's significant looseness between the bushing and shaft. The bushing is not a tight fit to the shaft when you slide it over the end of the shaft, but should still fit fairly close to the shaft. Without your video, I don't know if there's too much slack. Of course, if there's too much play between the bushing and the shaft, I think you could get some movement with the bushing and control arm on the shaft, even when tightened down, which could affect alignment, or cause some shaking.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 09:28:32 PM »
Yea, YouTube changed things around so now the only option for certain videos already uploaded is private or public, no longer unlisted an an option.

Anyway, thanks for your response. There was some play, maybe a bit more than the factory bushings and cross shafts. I’d have to check again. Either way, when I installed them there is no play. I suppose each bushing is maybe not 100% parallel to one another causing the tolerance to be taken up but once installed it all felt solid. Been assembled and driven since not long after my post and hasn’t seemed to cause any issues. No shaking and after alignment (in addition to the rest of the bushings and other steering components recently installed) the car drives straighter than it ever has.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:30:24 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
I was able to change the video back to unlisted so it should work now if you want to see
-Brian-

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 05:09:04 AM »
Thanks. I was able to see the video.

That's a good bit more play than the original. I have a new bushing and a clean shaft, and slipped the bushing on it, and there's very little "rocking" when moved as you were moving yours.

But, since it's working good for you, I wouldn't worry about it :) .

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 05:09:04 AM »