Author Topic: Pontiac Side Exhaust Pipes  (Read 595 times)

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
Pontiac Side Exhaust Pipes
« on: June 17, 2021, 05:45:36 AM »
Does anyone know of any supplier that sells side exhaust pipes for a round port Pontiac engine.
Car 14 has some, don't know if they are custom made or not?
Just another option to look at,
Thanks,
Darryl

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Re: Pontiac Side Exhaust Pipes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
Does anyone know of any supplier that sells side exhaust pipes for a round port Pontiac engine.
Car 14 has some, don't know if they are custom made or not?
Just another option to look at,
Thanks,
Darryl

AFAIK no one has made any side pipe exhaust kits for Pontiac engine cars (D or round port) for many years.

I believe Hooker was the only manufacturer that made side exhaust specifically for Pontiac V8's.  The chrome set seen in most pictures of my car is a cobbled together set up I made using a chrome faux header section from one kind of side exhaust and the long side pipe sections from another using an adapter I made to match the smaller diameter header collector to the larger side pipe section. . Only one tube of the faux headers actually flows exhaust, the others are blocked internally. A local exhaust place made some custom pipes to connect the exhaust manifolds to the single tube of each faux header section. I had a 350 2V when I first installed them and they were fine for that application and better than the single exhaust that was stock. However when I installed a mild 400 4V they choked off the engine limiting power capability since there is only a single 1 1/4 (?) tube on each side from the manifold to header section.

About 10 years ago I bought a set of NOS Hooker true D port header side pipes from a member here. I'd been searching for chrome ones for at least 10 years prior to that without success. They are black though and I'm hoping to be able to do something other than black. I've still got a long way to go before reassembly so we'll see what happens.

You may be able to find some NOS Hooker side pipes for Camaros because I believe more of them were made and then have custom headers made to match up to the side pipes. Also there are/were a lot made for Corvettes you may be able to do something with but you'd need to check lengths etc.

There are other new side pipes you may be able to work with if you're willing to have custom headers made.

Whatever you do probably won't come cheap and I'd plan on a budget of $1500.00-$3,000.00 for anything new or NOS.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:47:29 AM »
Thanks John.
I presently have Doug's headers. I still haven't firmed out what I'm doing from the headers back, either a custom 3" pipe set up over the axles or side pipes.
The collectors are 3", I would just have 3" pipes fabbed from the collectors to the side pipes.
I kinda thought that no one has them off the shelf. As far as cost go, it's most likely a wash comparing the fab cost either way, custom tail pipes and muffler vs
a cobled corvette system with custom pipes and welding.
Again, thanks for the assistance,
Darryl

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:47:29 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!