Author Topic: Cleaning upper control arms  (Read 788 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Cleaning upper control arms
« on: June 16, 2021, 07:30:01 PM »
Removing my UCAs within the week or so to replace the bushings and install offset shafts and the arms are coated in undercoating as far as I can tell. Any suggestions for cleaning them up so I can respray them? I have an idea it two but wondered what you guys think.

Thanks.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Cleaning upper control arms
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »
I used an oscillating multi-tool to get the bulk of the undercoating off, then followed up with a spray on adhesive remover. Worked well for the stuff that was on my car.
Gene

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 03:57:44 AM »
Try soaking them mineral spirits and a brass brush.  Or have them media blasted and power coated.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 06:29:25 AM »
x2 sandblast and powdercoat satin black, otherwise a lot of hard work with various grinders or paint strippers for unknown results. A typical wire-bush on a drill works well to, just to remove coating that isn't solid enough to form a new base coat. Wear glasses, you only need to get hit by flying wire once to really ruin your day.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
I definitely agree with the safety gear. I do wear safety glasses and ear protection but recently, while cleaning up my power steering reservoir with a wire wheel I decided against gloves and ended up taking a piece of wire  at least an 8th of and inch into the inside of my forearm. Unpleasant at most but definitely dangerous had it been in my face or eyes.

The uppers actually came off so easily today, and because I’m on a time crunch to get the car driving by next Friday I may reassemble and go the blasted/powder coat direction over the winter or something. I was hoping to get them clean and spray bombed quickly but decided this is a better time to use the time I have to touch up the engine paint on the sides with easier access and swap out my header gaskets I’ve been meaning to do.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »