Author Topic: Hot start Issue  (Read 1799 times)

nigel

• Active Forum Member
Hot start Issue
« on: June 14, 2021, 11:47:20 PM »
Hi Guys, had this issue the last couple of times I've been out in TA. Starts fine in the morning when the engine is cold spins over easy but if I stop to fill her up or stop for any other reason she won't crank or cranks super slow it's like the engine has gone tight. No charging problems and the starter motor is in perfect condition any ideas ?

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
Re: Hot start Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:23:51 AM »
either heat soak and starter is getting too hot
or needs starter motor
1978 Y84 W72 WS6
A Camaro looks like it could kick your ass.
A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:55:12 AM »
Start with the simple stuff like the wires and battery connections, make sure they are good and not rusted.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »
Jack had suggested before about upgrading the hot wire off of the battery to a super heavy gauge (Jack, please correct me if Im wrong), this is probably a good idea, and one which I still need to do.

Having said that, these cars are notorious for hot start issues. The biggest problem I had when I first got my car on the road was that exactly. Would do the same as you are experiencing. I was using a stock starter, no idea if it had been rebuilt or not. First thing I did was wrap with a heat blanket as per some suggestions. Car did work after that but I have no idea if that helped or not. Then one night at a show my starter crapped out completely resulting in a tow home. I had a mini starter that I bought from Summit installed. That seemed to cure the problem. I have not had any problems since. Although I am still overly paranoid about this happening every time I drive the car. I cant remember the brand but I do know I spent about $200 on.

SO, I would upgrade the battery cable and put in a mini starter.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 08:30:36 AM »
I agree.  I think the starters get less efficient as they age.  I had the headers and stock starter for years; and then in 2014 it started to do this.  Replaced with a mini and a 2 gauge cable and no issues since.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 08:30:36 AM »

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
Jack had suggested before about upgrading the hot wire off of the battery to a super heavy gauge (Jack, please correct me if Im wrong), this is probably a good idea, and one which I still need to do.

I did this to mine per Jack's suggestion and it took care of my problem.
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 10:27:23 AM »
1979 Trans Am (Red)
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams (Dads)
2023 Mercedes E63s AMG Special Order

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »
Check your base ignition timing. If it's too far advanced, you'll have hot start issues that are EXACTLY as you describe because it kicks back the starter.

I had the same issue when I first got my '79 w/ a 400. When hot, it sounded like the battery was dying when I cranked it, but it usually did start regardless. Checked my timing, turned out I was at 35 degrees initial at idle without vacuum advance, which is absolutely absurd. Heck, the vacuum advance wasn't even hooked up. Dropped it down to 18 BTDC initial per factory spec, hooked the vac advance back up; and the car now starts at the turn of a key when hot.

If your timing is way up there, prepare to turn your idle speed screw in a turn or so to bring the idle back up, since lowering your ignition timing drops your RPMs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:54:50 AM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

JAL71 TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 08:25:35 PM »
Same issue here on my 71 TA, I am using the RobbMc as suggested and have what I think is the HD cables. Has to be timing I guess based on all the comments here. Its 95 here in Houston so it desnt take long to heat up...hate to shut the car off unless its for an hour!
69TA
71TA 455
69GTO

nigel

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 06:59:31 AM »
Thank you all for the replies, I have just doubled check the starter wire which was loose at the battery terminal, now cleaned and remade off, fired up even better than normal, the timing is near spot on, so will look at getting a mini starter, thank you all.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
Sounds like you've already made a decision but I had the same issue. As others, I ended up buying a mini-starter as well and have not had a problem since. My motor has been rebuilt to a nice street motor and it had headers at the time. The mini-starter solved my issue and it hasn't come back.

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 11:05:03 AM »
I have the original starter on my engine. I had it rebuilt by a reputable company that deals with starters and alternators. I just like the way an OEM starter meshes with the flywheel. Bought rebuilt starters from auto stores that fit like crap and returned them. I've never had any luck shimming replacement starters.  Luckily they still had my OEM and then I had it rebuilt.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
Sorry I am late to comment on this. All points previously brought up are good ones.

No Doubt modern mini starters are superior to the direct drive starters from the 60’s and 70’s. The main advantage is the gear reduction providing a mechanical advantage to the motor.

That doesn’t mean a good OEM starter can’t do the job. My personal experience with rebuilds is most aren’t very good. But if you can find an automotive electric shop that specializes in starters and alternators they should be able to repair yours. I have repaired many starters by cleaning up the commutator with 320 grit paper, replacing worn out carbon brushes, replacing the solenoid, replacing the starter drive and lubing the bushings. Depending on the problem, I replaced only what parts were needed. Obviously if the battery cables aren’t clean and tight at both ends the best starter in the world could still give you grief. GM used heat shields in many applications and shims to the block were used as needed.

If you are looking for high quality reasonably priced custom battery and starter cables go to CE Auto Electric. https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/ I personally have had good experiences with them. Tony the owner is extremely knowledgeable.

I found this article online with much useful information. I am not endorsing any particular brand of starter.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/because-theres-more-to-a-starter-than-you-realize/

1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
"AND", (to throw in my 2 cents) had a tri-power 65 GTO many years ago, (Long B4 mini-starters) with hedders, and would do the same thing. Had the starter rewound, and wrapped it in cork insulation, (cause the hedder tubes practically rubbed against it), and cured that problem too. And stayed reliable as a DD for 10 years after that.
Another reason for the benefit of the RA manifolds, rather than hedders. On the street, they're tough to beat.
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
You can help support TAC!