Author Topic: 1977 trans am oil pressure sensor wire  (Read 787 times)

DirtyWhite77

• Active Forum Member
1977 trans am oil pressure sensor wire
« on: June 13, 2021, 12:32:02 AM »
Recently picked up a new to me 77 trans am. Awesome car needs a ton of work. Long story short the wire that should attach to the top of my gauge type sending has been cut about 2 feet from the sending unit and I can’t find where it should go. Car runs good idles smooth it’s pumps oil up to the heads fast and hard so I think it’s got oil pressure (at least a little tiny amount) I just can’t find the wire for the gauge.
Anyone know where it originates?

The headlights also don’t work, but just the headlights. Taillights, brake lights, turn signals, side markers and interior lights all work. I’ve replaced the dimmer switch to no avail. I’m assuming the headlights ground up at the front onto the radiator support or something? Any other guesses with those?

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1977 trans am oil pressure sensor wire
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:55:17 AM »
Often headlight switch is burnt out or damaged, moreso if incorrect headlights or halogens have been installed. Ground for front harness on each end of radiator support.

What engine, Pontiac? Sender unit is RH side above oil filter housing.

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
Should be a dark blue wire that goes to the bulkhead under the brake booster. Look for it there and trace it towards your sending unit. You'll probably find it  somewhere behind the distributor if you have 2 feet cut.

Check the headlight switch and its connector as Wallington has suggested.
Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

DirtyWhite77

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:06:24 AM »
I will check both of these when I get home and will probably just replace the head light switch

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
The oil pressure sending unit is down low which connects to the cluster via a single wire that goes through the fuse box (large plug near the booster) you should be able to find it and trace it back.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »

You can help support TAC!