Author Topic: Anyone into stocks, investing or trading?  (Read 1635 times)

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
Anyone into stocks, investing or trading?
« on: May 19, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
Anyone into investing and other activities?

Got any interesting stocks to talk about?

Real estate?

General advice on this subject?

Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Anyone into stocks, investing or trading?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:59 AM »
I went through a phase over the past year and a half getting very interested in all this.  I don't really pick stocks, so I don't have much to talk about, but I started watching some other guys trying to swing trade and I look at various indicators to try to figure out if that is all imaginary..  I convinced myself that I don't get it, at least by observation.  I have been trading options for about a year, heavily.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
two words for you - real estate.

Regards, Jack

Raven

• Active Forum Member
    • Yellowstone Computing
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
I've dabbled over the years, sometimes more successful than others. Started playing with cryptos about a year ago, that's been interesting. Real estate is good but won't be an asset until it is making you money. In terms of stock trading, I recommend only using "fun money," i.e., money you can throw away.
1978 Mayan Red Trans Am, '74 455SD, 4-speed.
1977 Trans Am SE, Y82, 400, auto. (Sold)
1999 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am, LS1, auto. (Sold)
Time Flies in a Trans Am!
https://www.yellowstonecomputing.net

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »
Anything Chinese. They're basically running, (ruining) the world. :x
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »

FormulaSVD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »
I have an old ETrade account that manages itself. Probably going to be a rainy day/retirement account. I played it safe in this one. It's mostly low risk/slow growth stuff, but it does okay.

When Biden got elected, I opened a Robinhood account and threw a couple of green energy/infrastructure/electric vehicle stocks in it as an experiment to see what happens. So far not much.  :cool:
Stephen
--------
1995 Pontiac Firebird 3800 V6
2017 Buick Regal Sport Touring

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
Skyworks Solutions (swks). 

They have RF chips in over half the devices on the market and have their own foundry & production facility.  All the automobile manufactures who are struggling to find chips for their vehicles, guess who they'll be turning to.  :)

Their stock price is actually down quite a bit from a few weeks ago.  Thankfully I purchased some last year and its still worth well over double what I paid.  They broke $200/share about a month ago and I expect it to climb higher than that very soon.  What's that saying?, "Buy low. Sell high."  :D

This is just my $.02.  Good luck investing.

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »
I dabble in stock trading every day. Last year I had a 200K gain. This year has been difficult, about a 100k loss.
The only trend I'm seeing now is...there is no playable trend. Right now I'm short will the little money I have in it.
It's hard for me to see an upside with the demonrats in charge, the only thing keeping it afloat is all the foe money that's
being printed.
I've bailed out of individual stocks and have focused on leveraged ETF's.....but you have to be on the right side to be successful.
Thinking about selling my shorts today?
Darryl

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
Canadian Banks,

Royal Bank
TD
CIBC

Think long term, invest and you can pretty much forget about it, they just go up.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 12:33:29 PM »
What do those banks pay for interest, just curious? I know my bank's interest rate won't even cover the rate of inflation. At the end of 2019 I Opened a high yield savings account with Ally bank who was paying out 2% interest. I still have it, but since the feds lowered the rates it's only at 0.5% now. Still way better than the 0.05% my bank pays now.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 05:18:36 PM »
What do those banks pay for interest, just curious? I know my bank's interest rate won't even cover the rate of inflation. At the end of 2019 I Opened a high yield savings account with Ally bank who was paying out 2% interest. I still have it, but since the feds lowered the rates it's only at 0.5% now. Still way better than the 0.05% my bank pays now.

You don't deposit money in them, you buy the stock. The reason the stock is so great is because they pay low interest on deposits but lend out at crazy high rates.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

chief poncho

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 05:47:58 PM »
Safest long term investment is to dollar cost average into an index ETF or fund.  Don't look at it, don't trade it, just put into it while you're earning.  IRA, Roth, 401k or other tax deferred investments is the best.  Max them out if you can.  Yeah, you don't get rich overnight, but over the long haul you'll most likely get 7-9% growth a year.  Also make sure they are very low cost funds.  You don't want some fund manager skimming 1% or more off your portfolio every year.  That'll kill you in the long run.  I've built a nice nest egg over the years that way.  Amazing how much it grows once real money starts accumulating in there.  Just to give you an idea, I had a small 401k back in '95 that rolled into an IRA.  It was about $2,300 in 1995.  Today that account is worth about $30,000.  I haven't ever touched it.  Just let it sit there and grow.  Just think, instead of buying a new car back in '95 if someone put away $20k (about the cost of a new mustang GT, SUV or Trans Am at the time).  You'd have $260,000 today.  That's an even better return than if you had purchased a nice 455 SD back then.

You can't beat compounding interest. 

As far as options, individual stocks and other less diverse investments?  Well lets just say your odds are probably better going to Vegas with your money.  Not that you can't win, and if you are both lucky and well researched you may even beat Vegas odds.  But I've found repeatedly for every winner I pick I also seem to hit a loser or two.  I might make 100% on one stock and lose 50% on another.  In the end I'm making money on my individual stock investments, but I'm making a lot more on my index funds.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 05:52:57 PM by chief poncho »
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am (455HO, Automatic) - currently my project car.
Previously Owned TA's/Musclecars: 2002 Pewter WS6/M6 Trans Am, 1968 Dodge Superbee 383/4speed,  1975 TA 455/4speed, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/5speed, 1980 TA Indy Pace Car, 1977 TA 400/Auto, 1989 GTA 350TPI, 1990 GTA 350TPI, 1986 IROC 305TPI, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/Auto, 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (and probably a few I've forgotten about)

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
I agree with the safety chief poncho.

With my 401k, I do Roth (post-tax) simply just to get taxes out of the way rather than later.  The company I work for matches 50% ($2k) up to $4k invested annually so I take advantage of that as much as I can.  I’ve thought about going the other route (pre-tax) but I just like doing retirement investing the “clean” route.  It has done very well.

Another benefit I get with the company I work for is Coworker Stock Purchasing.  We basically get to elect up to 15% of our income to go towards stock purchasing at 5% discount.  I like it as the company I work (CDW) for has performed extremely well this past year so that portion of my invested income has grown a lot.

I also recently just got into a pick-sheet penny stock that I’m “hopeful” on.  Stock ticker EDXC.  They’re a CBD company that is currently in Walgreens and other convenience stores with plans on expanding further.  They just unveiled a men’s product line under a rap/pop star DJ Khaled called Blesswell and some celebrities are showing it off online.  Stock prices are currently $0.10-$0.15 this past month so it’s super cheap to get a good volume of shares.
Mark's Cars Inc.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 02:32:40 PM »

I also recently just got into a pick-sheet penny stock that I’m “hopeful” on.  Stock ticker EDXC.  They’re a CBD company that is currently in Walgreens and other convenience stores with plans on expanding further.  They just unveiled a men’s product line under a rap/pop star DJ Khaled called Blesswell and some celebrities are showing it off online.  Stock prices are currently $0.10-$0.15 this past month so it’s super cheap to get a good volume of shares.

I want to make a disclaimer on this statement. 

This is a very volatile stock to be involved in and I don’t want anyone to look at this, invest and then come back to me if they lose money.  I’m ok at this point but I have lost and gained thousands of dollars in short lengths of time (hours, days, etc.).  Again, extremely volatile price swings.

As example, this stock dropped over the past month almost 50%.  When it got down to $0.10, there were social media videos that Mark Wahlberg and others did on the product and it shot up to $.12-$.14 (20%-40% gain) in a matter of a week.

I’m not saying to not invest in this as I’m in it right now but this is more of an FYI.
Mark's Cars Inc.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 02:32:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!