Author Topic: Fuel filter or fuel pump  (Read 748 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
Fuel filter or fuel pump
« on: June 13, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »
Out for Sunday drive 78 transam and engine burps. Then mile later shuts off.  Engine turns but would not start unless pour cap of gas in carburetor. It started and shut off again a mile later.  Not to start again had to call in rollback to get home.   Will start with fuel filter but was running fine till today.  Are they known to clog up that fast

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Fuel filter or fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:57 PM »
Generally not, but if half blocked for some time can strain the pump and pickup sock is another unknown unless done in recent memory. Still Quadrajet with filter in inlet, or others added?

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 04:53:30 AM »
Not familiar with sock term.  If fuel pump Carter or ac delco pump

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:38:15 AM »
the fuel pickup in tank

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:35:42 AM »
You should be able to see fuel squatting and rule out the filter and all lines.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:35:42 AM »

TonysTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
Having gone through fuel drama recently, I would suggest going through the process of elimination to get to the root cause. It could be the screen in the carb, your pump, older rubber lines, crimped metal fuel line or as Aus stated, the sock in the fuel tank is clogged.

After checking for obvious line issues (cracks and crimps and the screen in the carb), this is what helped me and what I wished I started with:  "ALPHA MOTO Motorcycle Shop Auxiliary Gas Fuel Tank"  -- Purchased on Amazon ($40?)  and its essentially an IV drip bag for your carburetor. It removes the pump, lines and fuel tank from the equation.  Just the external fuel tank (hanging from a stand like a hospital IV bag) and your carb. If your car won't run like this, it would suggest a carb issue. If it does, then you can start reconnecting fuel system components until you get to a failure point.

For example, if it runs off the fuel drip bag, then I would disconnect the fuel drip bag and (safely!)  connect the fuel pump back up to the carb but connect the suction line that goes from the fuel pump to the tank into a small bottle with gas in it. This way you rule out if it's a pump issue or not. So on and so forth. Dropping the tank could be a pretty big PITA and it would be my last check.

Best of luck in your quest.

-Tony

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
Thank you for advice

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
Found receipt from previous owner that fuel filter replaced in 2014  5000 miles ago

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!