Author Topic: I'm fixing my house  (Read 857 times)

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Re: I'm fixing my house
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
Now that’s looking a lot more professional. Good job.

Thanks!  I should mention that as a young man I worked as a carpenter building custom homes, additions, and making repairs.   This is NOT the type of project I'd recommend to a DIY kinda person who might build a deck or garden shed.  I'd recommend folks hire a company like Kerry's if their home needs serious repairs like this. I wouldn't be doing this job myself if I didn't have to.

Kerry, I think your library guys moved down here!

5th, While the building codes have been updated there's so many fly by night companies (term company used loosely) offering homeowners cheap "we do it on a weekend" jobs it's amazing. I've had at least 10-15  soliciting for the job show up. They canvas neighborhoods here. A new law just went into effect July 1 because it's so bad here making it against the law to solicit roofing jobs. I've called another 20 or so companies for estimates trying to find one I'd trust to do the job. Haven't found one yet, two more supposed to come next week.

Anyway, with the structure repaired it was time to do vapor barrier & siding. Not fun for a lil old man working alone with no staging.  Always looks like a lot getting done when it has such a big visual impact but the time consuming work is in all the prep prior to putting on new exterior.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:04:23 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »
Looking good John, why not use a maintenance free siding?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:44 AM »
The t 1-11 will add a little strength to the truss. Hardi panel would be nice as far as wear and tear but still needs painted.  It used to be fairly hard to get a contractor license (not quite as hard as MD), to keep the fly by night guys at bay. Years ago when Mom and Dad bought a house there Dad thought about getting a license just because. After several hoops to jump through he gave up. FLA has laws protecting senior citizens also,  it is a punishable crime for a contractor that takes advantage of them.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
This front section is the last part of the project. I did the back first (no siding) then the South end next which has siding. I only intended on replacing the two center sections of the T 1-11 (which had some rot) and figured I'd scrape & sand the remaining sections. After buying siding and tearing it apart I decided I'd just replace all of the siding. Since I'd already bought the T 1-11 I just continued with it. It'll last longer than I will.

I built new 2 X 4 framework for the soffits on the gable and started installing the 3/8" ply in the soffits.  Haven't been able to source the aluminum H channel I need that fits between the plywood sections as support & molding.  When previous repairs were done they threw away some of the pieces here and there so I've been robbing Peter to pay Paul reusing the old moldings after scraping/sanding as I worked around the house figuring I'd find new molding by the time I was ready to finish the front, but no dice.  If anyone knows where I can buy it please let me know.  I keep cutting panels and tacking in place but can't nail till I find the molding.  HD, Lowes, Ace, McMaster, don't have in stock at stores or for shipment and I've emailed the companies I found that make it but no reply.

EDIT: Yes Kerry, I'm leaving a small gap where the vapor barrier drops so any water that might find it's way through the siding seams can drain. I know you'd wonder if I knew (or remembered) to do that.

Here's where I'm at now and a pic of the H molding.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:17:04 AM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!