Author Topic: What heat range spark plug to run now ?  (Read 849 times)

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
What heat range spark plug to run now ?
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
There is no way Advance auto or any other chain auto parts place would be able to help wit this one . The only real modification done to the 403 is the #7 seven heads . I understand the reason for different heat ranges but how do you pick the correct one . The motor is running fine but with the extra compression and  HP i am guessing i would need a colder plug according to what i am reading . This is something off a engine builder site . I would guess that i would be ok by going down one heat range colder by what is in the article but would the gap still be the same as stock. .

• Increased compression ratio: Higher compression ratios mean higher cylinder pressure and temperature. Once again, you’ll need a colder heat range to rapidly transfer all that extra heat to the cooling system.

As a rule of thumb, you can expect to require one heat range colder than the factory-supplied plugs for every 75-100 horsepower you’ve add with your modifications, according to Champion Spark Plugs
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

What heat range spark plug to run now ?
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!