Author Topic: The Number 14 Car  (Read 715 times)

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
The Number 14 Car
« on: May 26, 2021, 05:00:45 AM »
John's early 2nd gen Firebird is needed to post here to show off his stance and wheels and tire info.
It would be nice to know the mini tub size he has installed on it too.
It appears to me that he has 335/35/17 in the rear, maybe 255/50/17 in the front.
I'm struggling with the rear tire combo on my 73 with DSE tubs. 315's will work, the 335's
appear to work.....but it's close. I'm planning on using a DSE Ford 9" that is shortened a 1/2" on each side,
with 11.5" wheels in the rear. A 3 piece 9.5 wheel that has been widened 2" inboard.
Let us know John, photos of your car's stance would be great!
Thanks,
Darryl

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Re: The Number 14 Car
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
I saw your text late last night but didn't respond figuring I would today, but saw this first.

I did have 17 X 11 and 17 X 9.5 in stock unaltered wheel wells. 315 35 17 and 275 40 17 Yokohama AO-48's.  My car is a '70 so no lump for retractable rear seat belt mechanisms that need to be "massaged" on later cars. The Yokohamas have a very rounded shoulder compared with a lot of other tires so at the ride height I was running and the shorter than stock tires the wheel well lips didn't interfere.

Each car is unique and when figuring out wheel/tire combos a lot of variables come into play. Ride height, suspension, expected payloads, car weight, front/rear weight balance, etc.  My car was lower than stock, aftermarket suspension, no payloads to speak of (not even a spare tire), overall weight reduced, and front/rear balance shifted.

Everything is different with the new set up now which is even more of a track only/rarely on street set up which and has not been tested yet. 18 X 10 Rushforth wheels all around, 285 30 and 295 30 Yokohamas, PTFB suspension, more weight reduction, car is lower, wheel well lips modified, adjustable turning radius limiters, and an aero package.

I'll post up some pics tonight when I have more time.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
John, the setup I have now is a DSE 4 link in the rear with double adjustable coilover shocks and a DSE tubular arm system up front
with double coilover adjustable shocks. The car is a 73 TA. Also with Bear 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers all around.
Really appreciate your advice!
Darryl

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
You can help support TAC!