Author Topic: Steering Wheel - Gold Restoration Options  (Read 923 times)

H8Rain

• Active Forum Member
Steering Wheel - Gold Restoration Options
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:42:23 PM »
Couple years ago I purchased a new Formula style (fat grip) gold steering wheel, which was around $220.  While the overall appearance and feel of the wheel is very nice, the actual metal is cheap.  Sometimes when I get out of the car I grab the steering wheel and slightly help pull myself up and out of the car.  Not pulling on the wheel very hard, more of a helper.   I have recently noticed the wheel is starting to bend (at the 9'oclock spoke right in the middle).  It was easily pushed/bent back into place, but the gold has now wrinkled at the bend.

I was looking at my old original steering wheel and comparing the two and it's obvious the original is a much more heavy duty type of metal/steel that would not bend so easily at the spokes. 

With that said, it there a place that restores these steering wheels.  The vinyl around my original wheel is not too bad, but the gold is shot and need a total resto.

Thanks!
Mark
1977 Trans Am
Manual
95K Miles (1k on engine , trans, diff)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Steering Wheel - Gold Restoration Options
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
If the grip is good, you can re do the spokes yourself pretty easily. Sue Sarafinski is the go to for recovering the grip with a leather wrap, but from my extended conversation with her husband they do not do the spokes. He said it has to do with federal regulations.

I did 2 for my TATA, the process should be the same for the gold wheel.

1. Sand everything smooth
2. Use a medium fine sandpaper, maybe 320 or finer and 'cut' lines into the spokes with a lineal motion
3. Use Rustoleum gold paint to paint the spokes
4. I did not do this step but I suppose you could use a satin clear coat as a finish

Here is the gold paint I used on my 'temp' wheel that I had in my car. Please note, when I painted the gold one I did not do the sand paper 'cut lines', I just painted for the colour and it was a temp. wheel. I will include a pic of the one I painted compared to the NOS wheel in my car.
2019-07-03_09-46-24 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Wheel mounted on car is NOS, wheel overlayed on top is rustoleum.
2018-04-17_04-53-02 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

2021-02-05_09-31-37 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
This is the wheel I redid for my TATA, Sue S did the leather I did the spokes

Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:47:56 AM »
Your new wheel was painted gold? Or just new to you?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 04:36:18 PM »
The gold wheel installed on the car is a New Old Stock that I bought from a guy on here years ago, the one I am using in my 77. The Gold wheel that is sitting loose over top is the one I painted with the rustoleum shown. I put them side by side for a colour comparison.

Didnt mean to confuse the issue with the silver and grey wheel, I put that pic up to show the texture of the 'graining' I did, didnt show up that well though.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
No, yours is good Kerry, meant the OP buying a new one that was painted. Was more curious as to if one of the repros was sold painted gold and not anodised gold, naturally anything repaired once the grip is installed is difficult, unless recovered anyway perhaps. Sounds like they are a lot more flimsy than original, which wasn't that strong anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:51:22 PM by Wallington »

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »