Author Topic: Advice on Rattling window - replace Window Regulator?  (Read 1075 times)

dmont

• Active Forum Member
Advice on Rattling window - replace Window Regulator?
« on: May 19, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
Hey Guys,

The doors and window alignments are among last steps in my restoration process.

I have rattling in both doors when driving with the windows down and I'm not sure if the source is the window regulators or plastic rollers that roll within the tracks.  I've replaced all of my 'fuzzies' and tightened all the support points but I think the source is coming from the bottom of the window area where the regulator holds the window when it is down.

In looking at my window regulators, it appears they are very loose where the two sides join in a scissor action.  I took a video to demonstrate the amount of play I'm seeing: https://youtu.be/VqbWRM_2GwE

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this amount of play is normal, or if I need to replace or repair these.  With Power Windows, sourcing these is not easy and I may have to do some creative modification and repair.

1979 T/A WS6, Olds 403.  Restoration in progress since August 2019

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
Re: Advice on Rattling window - replace Window Regulator?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
It appears you don’t have everything assembled yet. It won’t have that degree of freedom with the rollers in the tracks.

Short of replacing, I see a couple options.

It may be possible to drill out the rivet add a bushing and re rivet it.

Look for videos on how it’s done with the hood hinges.

An easier way may be to find a nylon washer and cut a slit slightly smaller than the rivet so you have to force it over it.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

another10th

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:55 PM »
There is a possibility that it’s not the window at all. You could be hearing the door moving against the striker. While driving the car on a bumpy road, lay your hand down at  the bottom of the door and floor. You may be able to feel the door moving relative to the floor. I had that issue with mine, even with good door hinges. Subframe connectors helped. 
JEFF

'79 TATA
'02 CETA #436

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:26:24 AM »
While it appears to be well worn and sloppy, none of that moves when in the tracks. It possibly needs that amount of movement for channels that are not part of the doors or parallel. The rollers don't even roll, it's all very firm. You'll also need the door trim on to support glass not touching the outer seals. Also not the fuzzy guides on the window tracks are often worn out and forgotten, as in, not even known about by many. A tiny bit here and there all adds up.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 05:55:57 AM »
For me the issue was the rod that connects the inside door release handle to the latch/lock mechanism.  Once I put some isolators on the rod, it was much better.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 05:55:57 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
Normally it had a cotton mesh sleeve along it's length where it rubbed and moved. Can probably still get something similar even though not aimed at cars. I know there's a nylon expanding version for hoses etc, more for protection than vibration noise.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!