Author Topic: 1980 Trans Am SE decals (Where to get them?) Pre Molded or Rolled?  (Read 952 times)

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
Ok, so now that i have decided to go with the with the SE clone Black and Gold car where is the best place to get the graphics?
I have the shaker hood on my car.
I know you can get them from multiple supplies but is there a company that i should stay away from?
Thanks again

PS.  I also see some info on Pre Molded or Rolled what is the difference? 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:33:13 AM by d_hache »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1980 Trans Am SE decals (Where to get them?)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:24:03 AM »
I used Phoenix Graphics for mine, was happy with them. I think they are the industry leader with this kind of stuff. I bought mine from a guy called Hitman, that had a website and sold some product. Surprisingly he was the cheapest guy at the time. Not sure if he still sells the stuff though. The last couple of times I checked his site was 'under construction'. 
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
Thanks Roadking do you know the difference between Pre Molded or Rolled what is the difference?
Pre Molded is more money so i assume its better but is it worth the extra $'s?
Thanks

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
I used PG for my '76 LE a couple of years ago. I purchased the pre-formed ones. After installing them, I can't imagine trying to create those curves from rolls of straight tape!
I'd say fit in general was excellent. Some of the stripes were a tad wider than my originals, but not enough to notice unless you have a really sharp eye.
The only area(s) I thought the fit was off was on the rear flares. I could never get the 'fit' correct as there are no real landmarks to go by. The bottom horizontal stripes ended up almost at the bottom lip where they are hard to see. I don't remember the exact reason, just that the 'shape' of them seemed off, and as soon as you try to twist them to fit better, then they would buckle.
All the other curves and corners were pretty spot on.
I remember PG had a discount code on this site for a while. (I purchased direct from them, with the discount they were cheaper than Hitman)
I know secondgengraveyard also sells them cheaper than direct, but haven't verified prices as my project is done. :)  But John's prices seem to beat most everyone around. And shipping - service is top notch.
I installed everything myself, even the hood bird. Took my time, a few anxious moments, but turned out excellent in my opinion.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
I feel like I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
1968 400 convertible (Scarlet)
1976 T/A - 455 SE (No Burt)
1976 T/A - 455 (Latest project)
1968 350 - 4 speed 'vert - 400 clone (the Beast!)
1968 350 convertible - Wife's car now- 400 clone
2008 GP GXP - New one from NH is AWESOME!
1980 T/A SE Bandit - Sold :(

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
What 76-455 said.  Although I didnt have any problems with fitment, I did have a few problems with the decal lifting. The process is basically, wet the area, place the decal, squeegee the bubbles water out from under, wait, then peel the top layer off. I was removing the entire decal with the top layer. Got to be frustrating. I then started to put them on dry and had much better luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
I did have a few problems with the decal lifting. The process is basically, wet the area, place the decal, squeegee the bubbles water out from under, wait, then peel the top layer off. I was removing the entire decal with the top layer. Got to be frustrating. I then started to put them on dry and had much better luck.
I had read about that numerous times before I did mine, and was worried. But I do not think I had a single one that did that. Once the squeegee went over to get the bubbles out, the top layer came right off the bottom layer without a problem. I did mine in 2019, possibly PG had figured out a better formula by then? I used their cleaner, then the mounting gel. Everything went about as well as it could. With as many as I adjusted and slid into correct position, I cannot imagine trying to dry place them. But maybe for some that works just fine. You would save a little bit of $$ if you don't order the cleaner or the gel.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
I feel like I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
1968 400 convertible (Scarlet)
1976 T/A - 455 SE (No Burt)
1976 T/A - 455 (Latest project)
1968 350 - 4 speed 'vert - 400 clone (the Beast!)
1968 350 convertible - Wife's car now- 400 clone
2008 GP GXP - New one from NH is AWESOME!
1980 T/A SE Bandit - Sold :(

You can help support TAC!