Author Topic: 1980 Trans Am Restoration Begins  (Read 1024 times)

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
1980 Trans Am Restoration Begins
« on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
Well things are moving slowly but surly on my 1980 Trans Am restoration project.
I am doing as much work as I can myself to save some $'s before going to the body shop.
Work like dismantling, sanding, scraping, bagging and tagging.
I bought this car 3 years ago and although it had a really nice paint job I had the suspicion there was allot of patching done.
My suspicions are now proven and I also found some unexpected surprises.
However I am still somewhat happy since there are allot of parts on the car that are solid.

Good: Doors, Rockers, floor 90%, frame rails, Rear quarters, front fenders, hood are all really nice.
Bad: T TOP channels, front window pillars (not sur that is the right word) , Top firewall, rear valance

Anyway thought you guys might enjoy seeing some pictures.

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1980 Trans Am Restoration Begins
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 09:39:49 AM »
Enjoyed the pictures.  You really have everything clean and organized!  Did you blast those parts?  Motor is looking spiffy; what size is it?

Look forward to your progress.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
I like to keep everything organized yes :)  My brain is week so if I don't keep things in order I will loose everything lol.
But yes most of the parts were sandblasted and Zinc coated and then black paint.
The larger pieces were done by a friend that has a massive sandblasting setup and the smaller pieces were done at home with a hand held sandblasting gun.

The motor is a Pontiac 400 out of a 73 Grand Prix.   I really lucked out with that one.
I got it for 400$ Canadian.  The seller told me it was a really low miles car but I was skeptical.
When I brought it to the machine shop to have it re-build they said it was defiantly a low miles motor. 
I kept it mostly stock minus a higher cam.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
That 400's going to be a blast!
My dad had one in his '77. I was fortunate to get to drive it a bit before something blew up and he ended up with a different engine...I don't recall what that second engine was.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Good luck!
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83354.0

d_hache

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 01:50:25 PM »
Yes, it should be a fun motor but allot to do before I get there.
It's really unbelievable what you find when you bring a 40 year old car to bare metal. 
Before I started to strip off the paint my friends were telling me that I was crazy, they told me the car looked bran new.
I knew I was going to find some patch work but I found more than I expected.   :sad:
But i am determined to save this Trans Am and make it better than new.
I am doing allot of work myself to save some $'s and i am learning allot about these cars.
Before i knew them on paper, but now i really know them.
Now i know how things go together and where the weak points are.
I am really taking this on with a positive attitude and looking forward to the end result whenever that will me :)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 01:50:25 PM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
Nice nothing like seeing pics of a 400.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
You can help support TAC!