Author Topic: Steering Column Re-assembly  (Read 595 times)

megajam02

• Active Forum Member
Steering Column Re-assembly
« on: April 29, 2021, 02:05:43 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm closing in on finishing up the restoration of my car, and have hit a bit of a snag.

I disassembled the steering column, cleaned everything up, and have been re-assembling it. I've gotten to the point where I need to attach the ring that contains the shifter arm to the column.

I took pictures, but not enough, as I don't have a reference for how far down the shaft the ring goes. The below pic is about as good a shot of it as I have:

Below, I've highlighted the area of which I'm talking with a red circle. The arrow is pointing to the outer shaft that the shifter ring attaches to. I'm trying to figure out how much of that outer shaft should protrude from the shifter ring.

I hope my question makes sense. I haven't been able to find any information on this from Google or any of my manuals in the garage. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Steering Column Re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:00:17 AM »
I cant really tell by the pics maybe a bit more info, is that right under the turn switch or deeper into the column?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

megajam02

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
It's the part that is directly after the part with the turn signal and the gear indicator. Here's a different angle:

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
You can help support TAC!