Author Topic: Torque converter selection  (Read 627 times)

80shaker

• Active Forum Member
Torque converter selection
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »
I'm having my Th350 rebuilt in the coming month.  As part of that rebuild, the builder is asking me to have the existing TC (boss hog 12" near stock stall) sent to the manufacturer to be checked, or to replace it in order to warranty the trans build.  I totally understand this and appreciate their honesty.  He did also dangle the option of having a new TC from precision installed, and going with a 10" unit which would apparently be a benefit for my setup. 

My 1980 T/A has a 461 stroker, comp XE274 cam, and a 3.42 rear end.  Does anyone else have experience with a similar setup that would like to share their experience?  I'm open to ideas here.  I don't think the shop is trying to pull a fast one, but I'd like to be sure it's the best choice for my T/A. 

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Torque converter selection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 04:12:49 AM »
Just to throw this out there, I worked with a young guy years ago, with a 67 FB, with a warmed over 389, TH400, 4.10 gears, street driver. He had a 3500 stall converter, and put it in, and said after 2 weeks, he couldn't take it. Was too hard on the car. Replaced it with a 2500. I think a 10" converter might have a similar stall speed, but can't be sure. Might want to investigate further.
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

Fbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
there are alot of things a convertor CAN do FOR a car....and alot things the WRONG convertor will do TO a car. You are dealing with a pontiac....that requires different thinking than MOST of your convertor folks as Pontiac has TORQUE. The stall speed is important as well, obviously but the the torque multiplication ratio and slip rate is more of a concern with a street car.. The 3.42 gear should be nice set-up but you will not need alot of convertor to move that car as the PONCHO is already making more torque at 2500 rpm than most Chevy, Fords make TOTAL. On a street car it's NOT going to hook up anyway so make some calls.. even call boss hog as they can and will tweak YOUR convertor to your new power.
67 Firebird
1981 Turbo TA (injected 400 now :) )

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!