Author Topic: Chevy Silverado  (Read 1005 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Chevy Silverado
« on: April 19, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
I am looking for a new to me truck. I really like the looks of the Silverado. 2015 is about as new as my budget will allow. I have found quite a few just looking at carmax. Other than there and CL, any other ideas where a good to place look would be? I dont mind travelling for the right truck. I have had f150's for the last 30 years so I dont know a lot about the chevy's. One question I have is regarding motors. I see some that have a 6cyl 4.3.  This will be my work truck (construction) so I do occasionally but not on a regular basis, load it up pretty good, need to be able to pull my box trailer with a motorcycle or two, and every once in awhile pull a flat deck with a skid loader. I have my doubts that a 6 cyl will pull the weight. Thoughts?
My sister in law has a newer Ram with a 6 cyl and my brother said its a dog.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Chevy Silverado
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
Not sure it helps but my old 1998 blazer had the 4.3 and I think it had like 240 hp. I did swap the axles out to solid axels and 33s but I towed a ton of stuff with it. Our 20' boat 200 miles each weekend during the summer every year for 8 years or more. I towed my 16' tandem axel trailer loaded up with quads and many other trips with whatever I needed to move. Anyway,  the 4.3 is not really a dog but a V8 is still more power.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »
AutoTempest is an aggregator where you can search across multiple auto listing sites with just one search - https://www.autotempest.com/

I've bought several cars from CarMax and can recommend them for a stress-free shopping experience. They won't be the lowest price but you also don't have to spend hours haggling with multiple sales people. Bought an F-150 from them last year but after the wife drove it once she decided it was too big and hard to park in little parking spaces, so we got to try out their return policy. Went very smooth.
Gene

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
As much as I’m a GM guy, I’ve heard a lot of goods things about the newer Ford trucks.  A lot of people didn’t like the modular 90’s-00’s Fords but the newer ones do have good reviews from what I’ve heard.
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:22 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. My family has used carmax in the past. Good and bad. I have one brother that has a 2018/2019 Ram diesel 3500?  Beautiful truck on the inside, and he said it will pull anything he can hook up to it. And he has a heavy toy hauler/camper.  But thats too much truck for me, both in capacity and price. Not to bash on any brand (my thoughts are all cars are about the same now, unlike the old days when brands made a difference) but every dodge truck in my area up to a few years old are rusted out around the wheel wells. Also, I think because of the popularity they are priced higher when compared to a like ford or chevy.  I have driven fords exclusively for 30 yrs now and been completely happy. My current f150 is pushing 300k miles. I have kinda made my mind I want a gm/chevy. I think after all this time I just want something different. I have been contemplating getting a truck since this time last year but now is the time to do the deed. I really hate to get rid of my trusty old Ford but it needs about $1500 to pass emissions which at this point I think would be smarter to put towards a new truck. Obviously I am not the kind of person that needs to drive around in the latest greatest biggest truck to stroke my ego, but the time has come.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:22 AM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »
I generally say to fix before you get a loan or new vehicle so my vote is for the repair.  No matter what you get, there’s usually a reason why someone else is selling the vehicle you’re trying to buy.  Before you know it, the old truck will become cool again.  For the newer vehicles, I would say any of them are fine.  Many people will tell you biased brand loyalist opinion but I think most modern vehicles are good to go as long as you take care of them properly.

I’m sure you saw I just picked up my used truck and am already in over my budget on repairs.  Needs a new gas filler neck/tank, wire repair and front suspension rebuild/alignment.  I’m happy with the “new” truck/project but it’s a big expense to take on and is distracting me from my Trans Am. 
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:38:02 AM »
What does that loader weigh?  I would think you'd be looking at a 2500.  I have to think your F150 doesn't have much power either.  They didn't make any with any power until recently.  I'd say look at 4.3 hp and compare to what you're used to.

i don't think it's easy to really address towing acceleration questions.  it's just a butt dyno question and it's your butt.  If you pull a loader with a 130 hp truck, then yeah, it ain't going anywhere. 
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:17 AM »
I don't off hand remember how far back it started, but the AFM/ Displacement On Demand, is a serious issue with the newer GM Vehicles. Do a search so you can be well informed on what goes sideways. I have a 2015 Silverado, and I bought a Range AFM Disabler two years ago. I think the kits to repair the damage when the "Lifters Fail" can be pricey depending on what kit you buy. More if you have it done. Scotty Kilmer did a Video on the Air Conditioning Failures.... I really like the Truck, It rides excellent, and gets pretty good mileage....Would I buy it again knowing what I do today.....No.... I would have fixed the old Square Body I already had. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:34 PM »
Thanks Again.  Jon, def dont a payment but the time has come. The vehicle will be used for my business and licensed as such so there is there is a bit of a write off. My F150 is an '06, 4x4 and has the bigger motor. Truck now has close to 300k but in its prime had no problem pulling a case 1845 with a heavy steel trailer. I had another 06 f150 4x4 but it was a base model straight cab work truck. It had every thing heavy duty, brakes, cooling, tow package. That would also pull the 1845 like no ones business. It was a great truck. I hardly ever used it so out the door it went.

Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter