Author Topic: Window felt trim choice  (Read 1013 times)

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
Window felt trim choice
« on: May 02, 2021, 06:58:57 AM »
Going to place a Summit order and I need to decide in trim with the chrome bead or without.  It’s going on a TA without any other chrome on the outside save for the exhaust tips.  Without is cheaper. What other reasons to go with the chrome bead or not. It is not a restoration and if anything people will notice the incorrect mirrors on it. I am installing late model Challenger power mirrors on the doors.

JT

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Window felt trim choice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:06:51 AM »
All Firebird models have a bright strip originally. It's either the small bead that is part of the weatherseal, or you use the plain rubber weatherseal because your car has the large decor strip along the tops of doors and rear of hood. Order which you like, but that's the reason behind the 2 options.

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »
Is the strip without the chrome usable without the extra decor piece, or does it rely on it somehow for mounting? 

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
You can use the one without chrome by itself. That’s what I have on my car. Was a cheaper option at the time but I kind of wish I had gotten the correct stock replacement. Especially since back then you could order GM parts. Not anymore I don’t believe.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the input
JT

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
See Brian's pic of no bead and no decor strip on door. The reproduction seals currently available with the bead are a little ill-fitting around the rear door curve, they tend to just angle upwards to the high point, kinking the rubber strip if you try to match the door edge curve. The plain versions do too but at least they are somewhat flexible. Adding a few slits helps too.

Also, if seeking the correct strips for a Firebird you want them with the round bead, not the flat Camaro bead. Many ads will not mention the difference originally, just what they suit and can be used on. There's a few new repro seals out there that may be good, and a round bead may also be easier to shape if needed.

Original GM strips are now expensive and hard to find, and the rubber seal depends on how it was stored for decades.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:10:03 PM by Wallington »

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
You can help support TAC!