Author Topic: Power Window Regulator questions  (Read 1609 times)

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
Power Window Regulator questions
« on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:45 PM »
Removed my window regulator and one of the 3 rollers does not have a rubber wheel, just the plastic. Is this missing? If so, how can I replace it?
1980 Turbo Trans Am Restomod (in work)
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
Re: Power Window Regulator questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
Pic 2
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

TonysTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
Hi - I would suggest looking up replacement parts on Amesperf to start with. Maybe what you have there is normal? I just did a quick search in the catalogue (link below) and  it looks like one of your rollers is after market and the other two are stock GM.  Part number FF434B vs. FF434BA - I could be wrong, but the research process is correct, Ames has a nice catalogue

https://secure.amesperf.com/catalogs/F25.pdf

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
None are rubber, usually nylon, nor do they roll, but slide. They are often too firm to turn at all when running against a greased channel. Lots of good replacements out there now that weren't a few years ago, even the channels. Some replacements require you to drill out the original mounts and bolt in new. There's also replacement clip on rollers, but have to measure stud to know size and type. They often had 3 clips on the top edge to remove roller. Otherwise, if they are good condition probably leave them alone as complete regulators are expensive and hard to find, repros come and go and are of questionable quality, I haven't checked lately.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:54:31 AM by Wallington »

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
Thanks, guys.

OK, so I looked at Ames again.  I guess I am going to wait until I pull my drivers side apart to see if there are 2 big and one small roller since Its hard to tell by photos.
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 08:54:48 PM »
You probably already figured this out, but just to close the loop on this question...

The regulator rollers in your pic are the correct, (probably) original rollers.  There are two larger(15/16") rollers (originally black) that run in the main up and down tracks, and one smaller white one (11/16") which runs in the short horizontal track.  The larger ones are squared off on their edges.  The smaller roller has rounded edges.

The catalogs I looked at indicate they were the same from '70-81.
I replaced the ones in my '81 using regulator rollers from Ames and have been happy with their performance.
The larger ones are 15/16" (Ames PN FF434B, 2 per side)
The smaller ones are 11/16" (Ames PN FF434BA, 1 per side)

The replacement rollers are all white.

Hope this helps!   
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83354.0

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 10:25:54 AM »
You probably already figured this out, but just to close the loop on this question...

The regulator rollers in your pic are the correct, (probably) original rollers.  There are two larger(15/16") rollers (originally black) that run in the main up and down tracks, and one smaller white one (11/16") which runs in the short horizontal track.  The larger ones are squared off on their edges.  The smaller roller has rounded edges.

The catalogs I looked at indicate they were the same from '70-81.
I replaced the ones in my '81 using regulator rollers from Ames and have been happy with their performance.
The larger ones are 15/16" (Ames PN FF434B, 2 per side)
The smaller ones are 11/16" (Ames PN FF434BA, 1 per side)

The replacement rollers are all white.

Hope this helps!
Thanks!

Yes I did figure it out. It is just as you mentioned. mine were still good so I disassembled cleaned, removed rust, treated and painted as needed. Lubed the hell out of everything and reinstalled. And thanks for the parts links. this should help anyone in the future needing this information.

Now Im wiring it all up with the 4 relay mod. with the new harness. I also installed keyless entry, ring brothers hinges and new weatherstrip. Its coming together.
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 10:25:54 AM »
You can help support TAC!