Author Topic: Brewing  (Read 1603 times)

red brew

• Active Forum Member
Brewing
« on: March 26, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
i was an F-15 contractor for McDonnel Douglas in Saudi Arabia back in the day.   Out of necessity I learned how to brew beer using non alchohol beer as a base.  Had to ship in specialty grains and hops disguised as pet food.  Not anywhere near world class beer but not too bad.   Also learned to golf there.  Swedish rock company had a crushed rock golf course.  You teed off...........found your ball. put down a hunk of astro turf and hit again.   The greens were sand packed with used engine oil.   Once done, they had a 6 foot wide broom and you swept a couple of passes around the flag and moved on. 

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Brewing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »
So did the beer contain alcohol considering it was from a non-alcoholic base?

Regards, Jack

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:44:30 PM »
i was an F-15 contractor for McDonnel Douglas in Saudi Arabia back in the day.   Out of necessity I learned how to brew beer using non alchohol beer as a base.  Had to ship in specialty grains and hops disguised as pet food.  Not anywhere near world class beer but not too bad.   Also learned to golf there.  Swedish rock company had a crushed rock golf course.  You teed off...........found your ball. put down a hunk of astro turf and hit again.   The greens were sand packed with used engine oil.   Once done, they had a 6 foot wide broom and you swept a couple of passes around the flag and moved on.
And they’re still flying them.  My son is finishing up his training on the F-15E! 
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

red brew

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »
I would take the non alcoholic beer and add honey and sugar, boil it really good and then I had some specialty grains and hops to add.   it would take about  weeks to ferment out really good and then I would bottle it in  liter soda bottles and sell.  I think my gravity readings used to show right at 6 percent at the finish.  My last 2 years there I was up at Dhahran on the Gulf and I could go to Bahrain and buy malt extract and that was a serious game changer.

Where is your son going to be working E models at?  I work as a contractor here at Nellis and we still have E models but just finished shipping out all of the older C models to the Guard

Cheers boys

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 06:52:17 AM »
I would take the non alcoholic beer and add honey and sugar, boil it really good and then I had some specialty grains and hops to add.   it would take about  weeks to ferment out really good and then I would bottle it in  liter soda bottles and sell.  I think my gravity readings used to show right at 6 percent at the finish.  My last 2 years there I was up at Dhahran on the Gulf and I could go to Bahrain and buy malt extract and that was a serious game changer.

Where is your son going to be working E models at?  I work as a contractor here at Nellis and we still have E models but just finished shipping out all of the older C models to the Guard

Cheers boys

He’s slated to be at Lakenheath when he finishes up at the beginning of June.
Steve D
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 06:52:17 AM »

red brew

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 08:08:32 AM »
Lakenheath huh?  Jolly ol England eh?    Its a busy base but he will get plenty of chances for travel and the Heath does show up here for Red Flag from time to time.  My favorite times in the USAF were the years I spent overseas.  In fact, I shipped a 78 Trans Am to the Philippines in 87 for my daily transportation.  Didnt get to enjoy it a helluva lot because of the crap roads but it was cool to be the only guy on the base with one.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 08:22:47 AM »
We’re looking forward to visiting him over there.  I’ve never been across the pond.  Must’ve cost a couple of bucks to ship the car that far.  He’s looking at some big expense just to bring his dog along.
Steve D
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

red brew

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »
I had orders to the philippines so the Government paid to ship my car.   4 years of crap gasoline and that car never did hiccup once on me

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »
You can help support TAC!