Author Topic: What's your thoughts on rebuilding the site again?  (Read 4964 times)

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
Re: What's your thoughts on rebuilding the site again?
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 05:59:03 AM »
I'm truly sorry for the MIA status of late.  Problems never come at good times, but this was absolutely the worst for me.  The last 14 months threw us all into a tailspin. We were sent home to work last March, which really hurt me from a TAC perspective.  My internet speeds at home were 10mb or less, so I setup backup jobs on my workstation back at the office and went home.  That worked great for some time, but I was not aware that the storage I was using to house my files was migrated while we were away.  During that migration they purged all sql and zip files to reduce disk consumption.  While that was going on in the background, everything in my life was full speed ahead.  We were in the middle of an adoption, when we decided to sell our house to start a homestead of sorts.  We found a nice piece of land with a creek back in April and started to the process of preparing to sell.  We listed our house in October, and it sold in 6 days.  We opted to rent our home for 1 month and move into a large camper on our property.  That is when the database corruption occurred on a grand scale and it couldn't have come at a worse time.  I did not realize that it was there for some time, and my backup to my backups were all incomplete because of the data issue.  When the table finally died I felt overwhelmed to say the least, as camper life doesn't lend itself to late night work sessions.  It doesn't lend itself to much.  I've tried to dedicate as much time as I could to the data I do have, but it has been very hard while we are building.  I am doing some of the work myself, so free time hasn't been there as of late.  I don't want to keep stringing anyone along, so I'm just going to be direct and say "I can't resurrect that data in the foreseeable future"

I understand if anyone is disgusted and doesn't stick around, but I've been running TAC since 2002.  That is a lot of time spent over the years, and I've learned more about the people then the cars.  Each of us has invested in TAC and losing any data is a loss to us all.  There is a value on the data that we all built, but I place a higher value on the community.  The data wasn't what made TAC special, it was all of you.   

You are absolutely right, we can all rebuild the data by just asking questions when the need arises or posting our builds as we do them. I've always come to see how life is going with folks more so than the cars. Working on the car is great and sometimes I need some education so I come here to see what people know. All the other times I'm here, which is daily, I like to see what everyone is doing, cars, vacations, stories about their kids. I mean, who knew you were adopting and moving to a homestead?! That's awesome to hear and now that we know we can be praying that things go well.

When you get time, sometime down the road, you can look into data recovery. Sites up and we are all back to chatting again. Be well brother and thanks for your dedication to us!

79W72

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
I couldn't agree more!  FB is terrible as a technical resource.  Just finding a post I found the day before takes 10 minutes to locate let alone follow a build thread all the way through.  Hope the site gets momentum again as the community here is way better than FB.    Thanks to the Admins/moderators that have tried to salvage the data and keep it going.!!!   
I hate Facebook as a medium for car information.  Tons of misinformation, difficult to search and just not a very organized structure for finding past information.

I have always felt forums were a good, but not necessarily the best approach, but are much better than facebook.  To me forums are very helpful and offer an opportunity for many opinions to be expressed and information to be easily searched and archived.  But ultimately, a forum as part of a larger web resource that has a "wiki" type setup with tech articles is the best IMO. 

I'm honestly disappointed that all of the information that was here has been wiped out.  If any of the database was salvageable, I'd be happy to help out to try to recover it.  We went through this once before and we can rebuild the site again.  I guess I'll restart my build thread and start populating it.  I suppose if I can't get the information I need form here to finish my build I can at least be a resource for those who come after me.
Is this thing fast?  Oh Yeah!

1979 W72 WS6 Survivor

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!