Author Topic: Carpet Install - 79 TA  (Read 2193 times)

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
  • @sapgarage
    • SAP Garage & Escape Racing
Carpet Install - 79 TA
« on: March 27, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
Okay, adding some more content that I had previously posted.

The carpet in my 79 Trans Am was pretty shot so here's some pics and comments about the installation process. I eventually changed the seats to Procar Rallys and have the rear seat covers on order with Procar, but they have been on order for nearly 6 months...

The carpet I used was ordered from Stock Interiors (8835-Medium Beige Plush Cut Pile). The quality is decent, but it does tend to shed. I would probably choose a different cut next time around.

Overall this a pretty easy installation, but takes some time to make it look clean. As far as what will need to be removed, here's what I can remember but there may be a few more pieces - seats, doorsill step plates, center console, seat belts, carpet (obviously), and underlayment. Cleaning off the old underlayment can be a huge pain and will leave you pretty grossed out if your car is in as bad a shape as mine.

While you are getting everything out of the car, make sure to lay the new carpet out to get the packing folds out and make installation easier. I hear that doing this in the sun or leaving the carpet in the sun to make it more pliable makes it easier, but it was not really necessary.

As far as underlayment goes, I used Cool It, but there are lots of choices with varying levels of sound and heat suppression so do a bit of research here. The key to get good coverage with whatever you go with. And careful here as the edges of the material can leave your fingers with lots of papercuts. Ask me how I know.

Its a good idea to keep track of where the seats and seat belts bolt down as you lay down the underlayment and carpet by marking them with tape or cutting slits. Also, you are going to need to trim some of the carpet, most likely the sides by the doorsills. Cut a little bit at a time. you can always cut more but cant put some back if you cut too much.

If you are planning on running new speaker wires or installing a new head unit, now is a great time.

Take your time and have fun with it.

@sapgarage

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Carpet Install - 79 TA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 07:50:29 AM »
Wish you hasn't just put the seat belt anchor bolts through the sides like that. You even had original carpet to copy.

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
  • @sapgarage
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »
Wish you hasn't just put the seat belt anchor bolts through the sides like that. You even had original carpet to copy.

Are you referring to the front belts, by the doors? I think I have since fixed that but its been a while. Gotta go double check now.
@sapgarage

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:24 AM »
Yep, came out nice otherwise. Just one of those things you wish you could remind before holes are made. They are a neat feature when base are hidden. Many other GM of the era did the same with seat tracks, these models seemed to only extend to the plastic covers, quality cop out.

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
  • @sapgarage
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
Finally received the rear seat covers from Procar by Scat so thought I would post those pics. Note, the rear seat covers were listed as 70-72 fbody in the Procar catalog but they fit my 79 just fine.

@sapgarage

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 08:06:22 AM »
Look nice, are you doing the front to match? The back looked pretty good already, the fronts obviously well worn.

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
  • @sapgarage
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:03:21 PM »
Look nice, are you doing the front to match? The back looked pretty good already, the fronts obviously well worn.

I  purchased the complete front seats from Procar in the matching material. Those came in super fast.

@sapgarage

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »
Those are nice looking seats.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:05 PM »
The carpet looks great as do the seats!
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 06:22:02 PM »
They look comfy. Have to read up on the recent thread about adding custom belt guides, at least with headrests it is far easier.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 06:22:02 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!