Author Topic: Hi-Po A/C condensers  (Read 1342 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Hi-Po A/C condensers
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:16:52 PM »
Hi all,

Slight repost from BC but had no replies at the time. Has anyone replaced their factory A/C condenser with anything other than a 'factory replacement'? There's several out there and probably half of them are the same item rebadged for different brands claiming the product as their own.

A few have slightly larger cooling fins, or larger 3/8" pipework than other reproduction units, doesn't mention how compares to OE. All aluminium, painted, bare, Made in the US, probably not Made in the US. And a few that claim to be high-performance units for use with R134a and redesigned to suit those cooling characteristics unlike original design. Most of all it's just one big spiel of selling their item over the next guy with no real comparisons to original or if any of it makes a difference.

I'm chasing a leak on my original, but even then it's not a convincing one so looking at options should it turn out to be the issue. None are available locally.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Hi-Po A/C condensers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
Old air products
call them
1979 Trans Am (Red)
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams (Dads)
2023 Mercedes E63s AMG Special Order

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:10:19 AM »
I’m not an A/C expert but the 80’s-90’s GM pumps look similar to what came on the 80-81 301 Turbo.  For a start, I’d look into the mounting and what those cars came with if you can search that subject.
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »
Condensers, not compressors.

And yes, shipping makes them super expensive. That creates another issue. Do you get the cheapest option which is still expensive to ship with a good chance the quality isn't quite there or worth the cost, or pay the extra, a lot extra. Plus, the more expensive version is much more expensive if you already tried to save money with a previous purchase.

Spoke to OAP. OE replacements only.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:13:38 AM by Wallington »

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
I know this may not help but I am using one from the 98 TA that I pulled the LS from. I was able to fit it with minimal effort. But, I now have to fabricate conversion fittings... what I guess I'm saying is it may be possible to use one from another GM car.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »
I know this may not help but I am using one from the 98 TA that I pulled the LS from. I was able to fit it with minimal effort. But, I now have to fabricate conversion fittings... what I guess I'm saying is it may be possible to use one from another GM car.

Yea, a lot of people like the 4th Gen radiator up front so I imagine the condenser would be the same.  I mentioned 80’s-90’s cars (3rd Gen) because their upper radiator attachment style actually looks very similar to 2nd Genfrom what I’ve seen.  I’m not sure if that correlates to the condenser but I figured I’d throw it out there as something to look into.
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 02:41:14 AM »
Ya, I thought it might be easier to source something is his neck of the woods.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 02:41:14 AM »
You can help support TAC!