Author Topic: Mounting Headliner  (Read 959 times)

Sac77TA

• Forum Member
Mounting Headliner
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
Hello,

Purchased a pre-cut abs plastic headliner from classic industries. Is it supposed to overlap the screw holes near the windshield? Either it's little large or I don't have it seated properly. Maybe I screw the brackets in and go through it?

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Mounting Headliner
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »
Are you referring to the screw holes around the sun visor mounts? There weren't any other front screws in my ABS headliner for my 73.
They didn't line up for me so I had to modify.  IIRC I had to enlarge the hole for the visor bracket then screwed through the ABS.

The whole installation was a challenge but once it's in it looks great.
Gene

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:19:25 PM »
Sounds like they are still a horrible piece, albeit much better than the previous horrible piece!

Don't trim anything until you have it mounted correctly where the dome light is which pulls it up into shape. The original dome light mounting studs will tell you the height that the panel and light base sit at when correct. An original board could be pushed up and down here on the studs to see the rear of the light, then come back down firmly as it retakes shape. If you have it mounted correctly on those 2 studs, it will tell you where in the overlap it needs trimming.

I don't know if the boards have the same 6 side tabs that insert into the roof or not. I'd be doing sun visors last, probably just clearance holes need adjusting. The other trim panels simply overlap, board is likely oversize, given the overlap they had some room to work with that would allow it to not be trimmed anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:23:16 PM by Wallington »

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »
I believe you are referring to the holes the front trim screws into.

The headliner should not cover those. It will make life difficult to install plus it’s better to have a little room to float for expansion.

Either reposition or trim it back.

Yes they are not great ferment but decent. I never got mine wrinkle free above the seat belts either.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »
You can help support TAC!