Author Topic: Bad PartsPlace Inc experience  (Read 16254 times)

j79z28

• Active Forum Member
Bad PartsPlace Inc experience
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
   I recently ordered via Ebay what was supposed to be a GM Restoration part rear console, USB port, and a cup holder kit for my 77 Trans Am. When the box arrived, it was generic without the familiar GM Restoration part lettering. Just a plain cardboard box with made in China on it. Upon opening, the console was there, but not the USB kit nor replacement cup holder. I emailed Partsplace to ask for the missing parts to be sent. I was told that the kit didn't come with them, they were sold separately. Knowing this was a lie, I asked how much was the missing parts. I was then told I couldn't buy them, they were discontinued.  I  told them of the eBay listing picture having all of these items, and they said it was a generic manufactures picture. I reminded them that they (Partsplace) posted the picture for the listing for a part they were selling. I then asked for a phone number to speak with someone, and was told "there was no one to speak to about this". I looked up the direct number for Partsplace, and when I spoke to  them I was told since it was an Ebay purchase there was no one I could speak to.
  Hoping to be able to speak with a human directly, I was looking to resolve my unhappiness with their customer service. Hiding behind a keyboard and ignoring the issue is terrible service. This was clearly a case of bait and switch. Partsplace advertised a GM Restoration part with accessories in their Ebay listing picture, and I received a generic box with a console and no accessories. 
   Since my purchase, they have corrected the picture to that of what I received, and its no longer labeled as a GM Restoration part. Further proof of bait and switch on their part. Sad they refused to speak with me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:46:35 PM by j79z28 »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Bad PartsPlace Inc experience
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
As much I hate eBay they typically help the buyer and you can open a case against the seller. The only issue here is the description, they will say that the item is as described (assuming that's the case) the picture will not help you.

Regards, Jack

j79z28

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
Hi Jack
Thanks for the reply. I have moved on from them. I need the rear console, however  it just is wrong that they refused to speak to me and listed the item as they did. Just wanted to let everyone know of the service I received from Partsplace so they can make their own decisions. I am in the GM parts business , and cant imagine having a job for long if I sold parts and  treated my customers that way. Take care.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 01:07:03 AM »
I had a similar experience with them regarding a formula air cleaner. Ad on eBay said they had 10 in stock. After two weeks it never shipped . Called to ask why they said it was back ordered for two weeks. 4 weeks later it was back ordered for 2 months. I asked for a refund I was told to go through eBay. eBay said it had lapsed 30 days , no refund. Called parts place back, they said they couldn’t refund because it was sold through EBay site. Finally , I made a complaint through eBay and actually talked to a real person. I explained the situation and finally got the refund. The parts place called me back afterwards and were mad because eBay gave me a  refund and without consulting them. I explained I ordered the part and it was listed in stock, but really it was back ordered . They claimed it wasn’t their fault. I asked whose fault was it? I got a real poor answer. I’m not buying anything from them anymore. To many other respectable businesses I can do business with.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
I am always leary of ebay to begin with. In all the years I can probably count on one hand my transactions. J79 and Jim both very enlightening. Sorry you guys had bad experiences but you have saved at least one more, me!  Ironically of the few times I have bought off of ebay it was from a recommendation for a part someone on her bought.
I thought the Parts Place was a pretty big business you would think that they would do better to keep their customers happy.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 07:06:14 AM »
I ordered a 621 bellhousing from them to do my LS swap a few years ago.  That Chinese casting was so thin.  I was scared to use it and ended up selling the thing.  I’m sure some of their parts are not bad but that was definitely not safe to use for clutch/transmission.
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

chief poncho

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 11:11:25 AM »
Just wanted to chime in that I've had positive experiences ordering from them on Ebay in the past.  Granted, I've usually only purchased lower dollar smaller parts, but have had real good luck without any issues.  I even scored my deluxe lower door panels for my '71 off of them in the correct blue.  That was the highest dollar purchase I made from them.  I have heard they can be a real PITA to deal with if there is a problem though.

1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am (455HO, Automatic) - currently my project car.
Previously Owned TA's/Musclecars: 2002 Pewter WS6/M6 Trans Am, 1968 Dodge Superbee 383/4speed,  1975 TA 455/4speed, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/5speed, 1980 TA Indy Pace Car, 1977 TA 400/Auto, 1989 GTA 350TPI, 1990 GTA 350TPI, 1986 IROC 305TPI, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/Auto, 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (and probably a few I've forgotten about)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 11:43:03 AM »
These days you shouldn't even need to deal with them direct after the initial time period has lapsed for item to arrive. If you request refund and they fail do do so, Ebay/Paypal step in and that's that. But there's weeks wasted getting there and you still don't have the item and perhaps no one else does either.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 12:29:01 PM »
I have not had any issues with them, but always went to their web site or the store for my purchases. Personally, I hate dealing with eBay. Hard to judge parts availability lately due supply chain issues, many repo parts come out of China or who knows where.

Another parts supplier Tamrazs, was started by an old friend of mine Marc Tamraz.  I have known Marc for over 40 years, sadly he passed away December of 2018. The founder of The Parts Place was an employee of Tamrazs, who went out on his own and obviously did pretty well. The last I heard Classic Industries now owns The Parts Place. Sometimes it's a small world.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
Interesting. I'd bought several parts from Tamraz's years ago, had good range and prices, but also international shipping quotes.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!