Author Topic: Let the games begin....  (Read 18894 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Let the games begin....
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:45 AM »
Looks good Jon, I hear ya on the cost  :shock:, thats about 2/3 of what I will have in my entire motor!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
Jon,

Holley Terminator EFI looks great. Glad to see you are moving forward.

Nothing cheap about this hobby. I’ve seen a broad range of builds from economical to the sky is the limit. Some are done quickly and others take a decade or more. I enjoy reading about all of them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:31:20 PM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »
Ya, mine was the worst of both. 10+ years and low budget.

You'll be glad you went EFI!
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2021, 06:40:21 AM »
Nice job on a great project!

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
I have had the PTFB drop links for 3 or 4 years and am very happy that I got them!  That steering shaft looks really nice; definitely will look into that.

The Terminator EFI's are said to have a lot of capabilities.  Give us a report on it when you get it installed.

Having just purchased a new engine, I feel your pain.  Being an old fart, I justified it as a bucket list item.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Finally got some time in on the car today.  Been so busy with work and my truck all summer.

I've been putting off doing the frame on my car so long because I've wanted to do the professional route of sandblasting, primer and paint.  Today, I finally got aggravated and said, "Screw it!  I'm getting this done!"  Took a rag with brake cleaner and wiped down a majority of the visible spot on the frame. 

Untitled by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

After that was done, I used some black rattle can spray paint to coat the frame.  The paint was OER brand chassis paint.  Came out pretty nice with the extremely bare minimum of prep and no primer.  I didn't have any primer on the shelf, so I didn't use any.  Again this was simply about getting it done and moving on at this point.

While on this subject, I figured I would finally show off my Lab-14 lower control arm frame reinforcements.  John at Lab-14 sponsored me when he started his business years ago.  His parts are an awesome upgrade for factory F-Body frames.
https://lab-14.myshopify.com/

Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
Long awaited test fit for me today.  Set my LS1 in the frame with my '97-'04 C5 Corvette oil pan.  Long story short, it pretty much fits with the minor exception of the oil drain bolt hitting the frame.  I knew about this going in so I will have to address that at some point.

Driver side...

Passenger side...

Oil pan drain bolt where it's hitting the frame...

General front view...
Mark's Cars Inc.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2021, 06:05:11 AM »
Huge step forward!! Congrats, I can't wait to see more.  :cool:

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
Paint job looks great. Thats all I did on mine. After looking at my 77 once everything is in place you can hardly see it anyway. I though you were selling the motor?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2021, 07:06:23 AM »
Paint job looks great. Thats all I did on mine. After looking at my 77 once everything is in place you can hardly see it anyway. I though you were selling the motor?

I did post an ad on a few sites along with Facebook but unfortunately no interest at all in the engine.  Not even one question about it.  I just took all the ads down for it over the weekend.
Mark's Cars Inc.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »
Exciting stuff. I like that you painted the bock Pontiac blue. Looks right at home there!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(22 years and counting but still have her)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=79648.0

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
Jon,

Sorry you weren't able to sell your engine, my wife has a saying everything happens for a reason, or doesn't happen for a reason. The motor looks great and should provide all the power and refinement you want or need. I know your life is busy right now, but some day when your car is finished you will be happy your motor didn't sell.

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
Frame paint looks good.  Motor seems to be setting right where it should be.  Maybe you can cut out a little notch for that plug.
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2021, 01:46:18 PM »
Finally got a chance to work on the car again today.  To start, I pulled the engine out, put shorter bolts on the engine hoist chains to clear the firewall and a got the engine back in the frame.

One thing I noticed was the UMI SBC motor mounts were pulling off the frame.  After seeing other online forum recommendations to use 1" setback plates, I was feeling the engine needed more setback.  To achieve this and "widen" out the block mounts so the frame mounts would sit flat, I simply relocated the SBC motor mount to the block mounting point on the plate as seen below.  Now the motor mounts sit nice on the frame.  I think my solution, at this point, will be to weld the Car Shop 1" setback plate to the new relocate position of the UMI mount.

With the engine shifted back a good amount, I got around to test fitting the shifter.  It's back a bit but it looks like it's clearing the console (loosely installed).
Below is the 1/3 forward position...
Below is the 2/4 rearward position...

Now, that I got the engine set back some more, the drain bolt almost comes out.  I think I can notch the frame but man is it ever so close!

Also got to see how the pilot bearing is fitting with my phone camera.  Looks good to me.

I'm not much of a video guy but I did end up making a video today showing what I have going on with this setup if anyone wants to see a "live" version of what I have posted here.  I'm not trying to be an entertainer or YouTube famous, so sorry in advance if this is not the most exciting video lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-qghTmb944
Mark's Cars Inc.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
Hey Jon,

I am really happy you are back to working on your car and making progress on getting the LS engine in. The oil drain plug looks close, I agree you should be able to notch the frame to provide enough clearance.

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »
Hey Jon,

I am really happy you are back to working on your car and making progress on getting the LS engine in. The oil drain plug looks close, I agree you should be able to notch the frame to provide enough clearance.

Thanks, it’s been a rocky road financially this year but we’ll see how everything turns out.  We’re doing the best we can with what we have.  I know this LS1 install is far from budget oriented but my goals from here on out is to keep the car somewhat modest.  I’ll spend money on lowering springs, nice bushings, brake pads, nice clutch or other small items but I’m not trying to overdo it anymore.  When I was younger, I wanted the 335 tires, mini tubs, link suspension, LS9, T56 and everything else “pro-touring”.  Now that I have a family and real budget, I’m not chasing that dream anymore.  There’s always going to be a new efi system, updated suspension, crazy brake kit or whatever else released.

Hopefully I can get back on it soon.  Blasted out an oil change for my mom after work this evening and I need to do her driver rear brake soon.  Also have a ton more work to do on the truck.
Mark's Cars Inc.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Just want to give FYI that I won’t be updating my build for a while.  I was working on my truck on Monday and accidentally dropped the spindle on my finger.  I hate the terminology but this unfortunately has caused an “amputation” of my finger tip.  I will be needing to address important things such as health insurance, medical bills and getting back to work. 

If anyone wants to check in or see how things are going, send me a PM.

Thanks,
Jon
Mark's Cars Inc.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »
Jon,

This is terrible. I wish you a quick recovery. I guess better to lose a finger tip instead of an entire finger.

Hang in there, you will get past this.

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2022, 09:43:15 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have unlocked this thread for commenting again.  I locked my build threads when my injury occurred and have not been on the forum much this past year.  Not much updates with the car this past year but I plan on getting on top of it very shortly.

Jon
Mark's Cars Inc.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2022, 07:06:19 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing better. Sometime after your last post I lost access, and it took a while to figure out what was going on, so I would have missed out on any and all of your progress. Just the same its good to have you back.... Forum has been just a little dead lately.....

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »
Good project, good progress.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
Jon's 1979 Trans Am WS6 4spd LS1 swap
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
Worked on doing some painting yesterday.  I'll keep this one short.

LS truck alternator and power steering bracket pressure washed and scrubbed with a brush...
August update by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

Painted with Rust-Oleum black engine paint...

Hung up on the engine yesterday with a brand new pump I bought at my local Autozone.  Original pump from the truck engine I had was missing the cap and the reservoir was crushed by previous owner/mechanic.
Mark's Cars Inc.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2022, 05:47:35 PM »
Yesterday a friend of mine told me my factory '00-'01 F-Body LS1 look hideous, poor flowing and I should buy headers from Summit.  While I did partially agree with him, he got me motivated to clean up what I have to prove a point.  Factory GM LS manifolds support 400-600hp depending on the engine and the outlets are 2.5" from the factory!  After I cleaned them up, I showed my friend and he ended up being impressed afterwards.

In the below picture, the one on the left is how both looked when I started yesterday.  The one on the right is after pressure washing and scrubbing with a brush and degreaser. 

Here both are pressure washed and scrubbed...

While the manifolds were drying, I went to my local Autozone for some paint. 

Here they are after I laid some paint on.  I "assisted" the drying with a heat gun...

And, finally, a test fit on the engine.  These look 10x better being washed and painted.

Let this be a lesson for many of us.  A couple hours of elbow grease and a few dollars went a long way on this one.
Mark's Cars Inc.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
Re: Jon's 1979 Trans Am WS6 4spd LS1 swap
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2022, 08:21:43 PM »
Working on the Detroit Speed hydraulic clutch conversion this evening. 

To start with this project, there is an OE installed plug that's in the firewall in between the lower bolt holes for the brake booster.  The plug and this factory punched hole was not allowing the DSE clutch plate to sit flush against the firewall.

Since I'm someone who likes using factory parts when I can, I ended up drilling a hole in the DSE plate to allow for the factory rubber plug to pass through.

After the hole was drilled in the plate, it now is able to sit flush against the firewall.

With the plate in place, I scribed a line to find the areas where I will weld.  Welding is not necessary for the installation of this bracket but Detroit Speed instructions say this is optional/recommended for a fully weather tight seal. 

Paint stripping tool pretty much on the areas I scribed.

In place and nearly ready to get welded.

More to come soon....
Mark's Cars Inc.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »
Glad to see you making progress on the T/A! Looks great. I can't wait to hear this thing fire up!

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2022, 08:19:51 AM »
Great to see you back at it. Manifolds turned out great, well worth the effort.

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2022, 04:46:00 PM »
Haven’t welded in a few years and it definitely showed me today.  The summary of my day…

-Why did my first welds look awful and not stick for crap?  Oh….my gas tank was empty.
-After I got my gas tank filled, why did I just blow a hole through the metal?   Oh…my settings were too high.
-Oh great, now that I’m getting my welds figured out, half of this install looks ok and the rest looks like garbage….gotta break out the grinder.
-Ok, now that these ugly ass welds are ground down, I can cover it with chassis primer so it won’t looks as bad.
-Done

Man, I gotta say for a $30-$40 clutch bracket, this was one tough install.  Installing and removing the pedals and brake booster a few times to get the perfect fit is definitely a hard task along with all the marking, grinding, cutting and welding.

Mark's Cars Inc.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2022, 04:55:46 PM »
Progress is progress! Doesn't look too bad from here and you can blame it on your handicap now. I'm sorry, is it too soon?  :grin:
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »
Progress is progress! Doesn't look too bad from here and you can blame it on your handicap now. I'm sorry, is it too soon?  :grin:

hahahaha.....that one took a sec for me  :lol:
Mark's Cars Inc.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2022, 07:57:14 AM »
Coming together, good progress my friend.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2022, 12:08:43 PM »
Good to see you're back at it!
John Paige
Lab-14.com

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
Alright some further updates this week...

Since I don't have a driveshaft for the car and I'm going to literally be making roughly double the horsepower compared to stock, I decided I'm going to install a stronger 1350 yoke on the transmission and rear end.  After speaking with a welding and performance shop, I'm going to get the axle tubes welded to the center section and install a crush sleeve eliminator while the 1310 is out and getting swapped for the 1350.  I would love to do the axles, gear and differential but it's just too much money for me to spend right now.

Step 1 was take off the wheels....

Next was take out the axles to make it lighter...

Got the rear end out and started pressure washing and scrubbing...

Dried up after washing...

Since I'm having a shop do the welding, the guy at the shop said it would be cheaper for me overall if I do as much prep work for him as I can.  I got as much as I can degreased and started some light wire wheeling in the area that will be welded.  I plan on doing more before I drop off at the shop....

Axles after I degreased them...

Bummer....after pulling out and degreasing, I looked closer and found out there are two different axles that were in this rear end...

Since I'm converting the car to 1988-1992 1LE front rotors, which have a metric wheel stud, I decided to buy some GM Genuine metric wheel studs along with black lug nuts for a 1992 Trans Am on Rock Auto.  I'm pretty excited about this part.  The drum brake rear end also has short wheel studs, so installing the 3rd gen metric studs should bring everything into correct specification.

These are the "now garbage" wheel studs that came out.  Glad I took it apart and found the mismatches.   

Since the axles were broken down and cleaned, I decided to throw some silver engine paint on them.  Came out nice for "quick and easy".  Now I'm waiting for axle studs to come in the mail.

After the axles were prepped, I decided to degrease, wire wheel and paint my sway bars.  Factory is black.  I like most things to be stock-appearance but I figured I would try something different with the silver instead.  Original GM sway bars and PTFB rear drop links painted silver....

1981-specific WS6 brake booster and aluminum/plastic master cylinder.  Quickly disassembled, painted and greased.  I would love to send this thing out for a zinc coat restoration but rattle can paint will have to do for now.

A few words....

I'm pretty excited with how this rear end, suspension and brake system is coming together for being basic parts.  1988-1992 1LE front rotors, 1981 WS6 booster/master cylinder, 1979-1981 rear discs/calipers, 3rd Gen GM wheel stud conversion, Kore3 black braided stainless hoses, Hawk HP Plus pads and GM 3.42 rear gears.  For the suspension/steering, I have an original GTA/IROC steering box, PTFB steering shaft, original GM WS6 sway bars, PTFB HD drop links, PTFB GT Pro leaf springs, solid leaf spring plates, Detroit Speed front springs, AFCO Racing control arm bushings on the stock arms, and non-adjustable Bilstein shocks.  Wheels are '84-'87 16x8 convex WS6 with BFG Z-rated 255/50-16 tires.  I like this combination, now that I think about it more, as it will be a good representation of originality, GM Performance and very slight modern enhancements.
Mark's Cars Inc.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »
Nice work.  Note you MUST adjust and cycle the parking brake function of the rear calipers BEFORE bleeding the brakes - otherwise you will be plagued by a low and spongy pedal.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2022, 06:27:52 AM »
Seems like things are really moving along. Good progress and looks great!

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2022, 10:43:15 AM »
Great work, lots of progress!  Those exhaust manifolds came out nice and I can see how the would flow well as they are shaped like a header.  I wouldn't worry about the welding, its fine.  The 81 master and booster has been a great combo for me, it has been good with the D52's in the front and Blazer rear.

Welding the axle tubes is a good idea.  My welding shop also blasted the rear assembly for $20.  It seems like the factory wheel studs were pretty short, if you do anything they need to be longer.  I have been really happy with the PTFB drop links.  Larger yokes can not hurt.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2022, 07:05:09 AM »
Great work Jonathon! Love seeing all the progress. All that cleaning, sanding, preparation and painting makes for some really nice looking parts. One of the best feelings when building a car is bolting on nice shiny painted parts.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the LS to T10 adaptation.

« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2022, 07:05:09 AM »
You can help support TAC!