Author Topic: Today I... "Redux Edition"  (Read 65515 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Today I... "Redux Edition"
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:45 PM »
Got mine too. Didn't notice really anything.  Had heard others felt a bit sick after but I was fine with both.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2021, 06:25:05 AM »
We go next week for our second dose. Cant wait. I was a bit more tired than usual after getting the first, went to bed early and had a great night sleep. Kinda hoping for the same with the second dose  :grin:  My cousin whom is a couple years younger than me got quite sick from her vaccine but she had covid. My nephew was slightly sick and slept for about 20 hrs after his second, other than that, I know a lot of people that have received both shots and those are the worse cases I have heard about.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
Just a bit tired after the second jab (Pfizer).  The wife got the Moderna and had the chills and shakes for about 6 hours, gone in the morning.

What is tragic are the fools that won't get it.

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2021, 10:16:00 AM »
Just a bit tired after the second jab (Pfizer).  The wife got the Moderna and had the chills and shakes for about 6 hours, gone in the morning.

I'm not getting it. I'll let the rest of the population work out the long term testing for it. Based on the stats available its likely I'll be fine either way.
Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2021, 11:22:38 AM »
What is tragic are the fools that won't get it.[/color]

Are you referring to the experimental vaccine?

I personally don't think it's foolish to be concerned about something that is labeled a "vaccine" but is based on a completely different technology than traditional vaccines (J&J the exception). A technology that doesn't have a very good track record and has gone through very limited testing and no long term studies.

It may very well be safe, or it may not. It's an individual risk vs reward decision. I support those who get it and I support those who decide not to get it.
Gene

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2021, 11:22:38 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Your friendly neighborhood Miata enthusiast!
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
Our doctor told me and my mom not to get the vaccine because of our fibromyalgia, so even though we planned on getting it I guess we won't.  We've managed to avoid it so far, and continue to minimize exposure as well as wear masks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:00:49 PM by Casey »
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
I received my first and second doses of Pfizer and felt good after both. First shot I felt tired the next day, and after both I had a sore arm.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but what the heck. The real risk that is by more people choosing not to get the vaccine is two main areas IMO; One the more likely that the spread continues and a variant comes along that the vaccine won't protect against. Then we start this whole process over. Two is that you may contract it and be fine, but who are you going to infect? Mom, Grandmother, Uncle, Neighbor? And while you may be fine, it could be deadly for them. My 24 YO healthy cousin was hospitalized when he contracted it.

I'd encourage people who are hesitant to read research that is conducted by reputable institutions (Johns Hopkins, CDC, WHO, Cornell Medical School, etc.) rather than what you may be hearing from your uncle or reading on Facebook. Think outward about who you could infect, rather than inward about yourself. Exactly the same theory on how masks work. Growth Mindset vs. a Fixed Mindset.

Relying on others for herd immunity is not a good excuse for not getting vaccinated. In no way is this an experimental vaccine. Please don't spread false truths, people could read this and take it as such. Work on other corona virus' have been taking place many years before Covid-19.

Ok, off my soapbox now.  8)

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
X2 reguy, my wife and I get our 2nd shot tommrow.  My granddaughter got her 2nd shot Monday. She has cystic fibrosis and we are happy she got it. Everyone is tired of Covid so I feel do your part, get your shot so we can all get on with are lives.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2021, 05:26:22 AM »
Not today really, but on Monday I got my first Covid shot. Not the Covid vaccine because it does not exist.  You may still get Covid, and you may still spread it. As much concern as has been expressed here regarding not getting stuck, there is an equal if not greater danger in believing you have a free ticket to roam. You will be less likely to die from Covid after receiving the shot perhaps, but you will not be immune. Sad but true there will be variants of this virus developing for years to come and your  annual flu shot will become replaced with the C19 shot.  That said I got it when it became available and so far it has not killed me or did I feel any ill effects. If it reduces the severity of a case should I get the virus I guess it will have done its job. But please folks dont believe you are immune. It’s not a free pass.

The Covid shot is experimental in the fact that it was rushed to production in a manner unlike any medicine before. Each provider has been granted immunity for any detrimental effects. Nearly ever medical organization mentioned has flip flopped their position about this whole mess in one form or the other. Trust your own judgment. Resist the virtue signaling of doing your part as being told by mass media. It can be as deceiving as your uncle. And again when you leave your house be careful out there. You are still vulnerable.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
Good on you for getting your shot!

Should clarify your statement though. The vaccine that they developed isn't experimental. The trials consisted of between 30k-50k people in multiple phases before it was approved. That and the fact that this technology has been around for years before Covid-19 and was used successfully for other vaccinations. So the existing technology was there, just modified for covid-19. It should also be known that the normal process for a vaccine to be FDA approved is: Step A needs to be approved before you can start Step B, then B before you begin step C, C before D, D before E, and etc. sometimes with dozens of steps.

The FDA allowed for companies to do all of the steps simultaneously during this global emergency, which cut through all of the bureaucracy and red tape. I think we can all see how that would save a bunch of time. So while it may appear rushed, the real story is that the entire process that can normally take years because it is typically linear, was greatly consolidated while retaining all of the research and development of any other vaccine.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
I too support both sides of the debate. I am not 100% convinced myself that this is the magic bullet but figure what the heck. For the last 4 years almost like clock work, within a week or two of my birthday I have had a bout with the flu, typically leaving me bed ridden for a couple of days. I have a good customer that is a highly intelligent retired Medical Doctor. He kept telling me to get a flu shot. This past Oct I did so. It has been since Feb 2020 since I have been sick, so the flu shot or my due diligence of trying to stay clear of the virus has worked. When the covid shot was announce I asked him about it and he said absolutely.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2021, 07:35:57 AM »
Experimental

“What we are still learning” from the CDC themselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html?s_cid=10499:covid%20vaccine%20what%20is%20it:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

Not 100% known at the moment.
Seems effective among 30k to 50k people I agree during the trials.
We are in desperate times and these are unprecedented measures.
I agree the technology has been around for years, just not pushed to the limit as it is being now.
Why is there not vaccines for colds, flu and other more common viruses?
The steps A, B, C and onward are safeties incorporated in the system, and measures to prove effectiveness, not implement it and then say what we are still learning.

“Two weeks to flatten the curve”
Mask / no mask
The health organizations are learning as the go, including the effectiveness of the Covid shot.
I got the Covid shot to get it over with. It will not in any way change how I should, and more importantly, how I am allowed to be out in public.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »
While I have never contributed to this thread, I always enjoy reading through it.

All my grown children, my wife and I have all been vaccinated against Covid 19, in all cases we experienced only temporary minor side effects. We felt the rewards far outweighed the risks. I personally think as more of the population has been vaccinated it will help everyone. I respect every persons decision on deciding to or not to get vaccinated. Fortunately we still live in a free country where were allowed to decide for ourselves.

1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
Yesterday I met with a lifelong friend for lunch so he could check out the progress on my TA. Our friendship goes back to May of 1975 when he was my flight instructor. While he taught me how to fly, I took him for rides and had him drive my 1975 TA. He was so impressed that he purchased a 1976 TA and later a 1978. He is the kind of person who is reluctant to throw anything away. He brought me these service manuals. While my car TA is a 1980, much of the information in the manual is still accurate.

I love the detail in factory service manuals.

IMG_8028 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
...I personally think as more of the population has been vaccinated it will help everyone.

Very true.

I respect every persons decision on deciding to or not to get vaccinated. Fortunately we still live in a free country where were allowed to decide for ourselves.

I do not. 

We now live in a world where the news is Balkanized: people gravitate to what they want to believe no matter how pants-on-head Qooky.   

Remember Hydrochloriquine? injecting bleach? internal UV light?                 Yeah.

We have real functional solutions here in the vaccines developed by 5 alarm scientists and ill-informed hesitancy is not helping.  My neighbor barely survived Leukemia; he is a walking wraith and a bag of comorbidities - you can bet your last nickel he got the jab as soon as he could.

Herd immunity will not get here because of these childish attitudes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
It's best to stay off the subject...

Regards, Jack

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
It's best to stay off the subject...

X2
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
I'm not saying anymore. Said my peace and moving on. I agree, I think it's best to stay off this topic. (Says the guy who stoked the fire...)

Today... I took my car out for another tuning session and I was amazed at how much changing the timing a few degree's made. I was running around 25 idle, 32 cruise and 38 WOT. I lowered them all quite a bit as I found out that LS motors don't like timing. Especially with the square port heads. I went to 18, 25, 32 and it made a HUGE difference. Idle cleaned up soo much and the car felt much stronger. Little changes.

I also paid my classic car insurance. Anyone looking or shopping should check out Condon and Skelly. They are super flexible with the driving restrictions and they have the best rate by far. $40k Agreed Value for $315 per year. No mileage limitations.  :cool:

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
Today I am celebrating my 55th anniversary of breathing in and out on my own.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
Today I am celebrating my 55th anniversary of breathing in and out on my own.

Happy Birthday.

Regards, Jack

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
I also paid my classic car insurance. Anyone looking or shopping should check out Condon and Skelly. They are super flexible with the driving restrictions and they have the best rate by far. $40k Agreed Value for $315 per year. No mileage limitations.  :cool:

Thanks for the tip, will check them out for sure.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
Happy Birthday RR!! Wishing you many many more.

Good score Larry, sounds like a great life long friend.

Ryan, glad to hear your car is getting into the proper tune. I know you will have that thing screaming along with no problems. As far as insurance, That doesnt sound too bad. I have Grundy with an agreed 30k and my premium is $193. Just paid 2 days ago. They arent too restrictive as far as use, but Im not sure they will insure something as highly modified as your car.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2021, 04:24:28 PM »
$200-300 for insurance? I'm jealous and need to move out of this crazy state.

Regards, Jack

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2021, 05:32:45 PM »
Kerry, you like Grundy I take it? Have you ever had any claims or anything? I’ve been meaning to pull the trigger with them. One of the things I liked is their lack of use restrictions
-Brian-

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Pontiac "Big Block"
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2021, 06:36:37 PM »

Guess I'm a fool then.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
71 Trans Am LS Swapped

"Put the evidence in the car"

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2021, 06:36:37 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »

On your recommendation I went with them as well.  They were easy to work with and price was $270 I think for 35k. Haven't had to make a claim but after asking a lot of questions it seems like they take care of you.

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
Thanks All.
Had a wonderful day

JT

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2021, 10:16:40 PM »
Happy Birthday!
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2021, 10:25:27 PM »
Yesterday on Saturday morning and went to Cars and Coffee in Las Vegas. Afterwards I went on a Car Run with a Corvair Club here in Vegas. It was open to all makes and we had a good showing of TransAms. We left Las Vegas and went south about 30 miles to Good Springs, NV. There is a cool hole in the wall kind of place called the Pioneer Saloon. It’s kinda popular to go to for ride on a Saturday for lunch. We had a group of about 20 or cars with about 5 TransAms. I drove my 79 and it was real good to get out on the open road. The was a 73 TA, 74 TA SD, a 77 and 78 TA and my 79 TA. We also had a 30th anniversary TA in the group as well.
This was actually my first time doing something like this with a group and it was a lot of fun!
Jim

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »
About two weeks ago, I put my 79 TA through its annual maintenance. I had to replace the master cylinder on the brakes and I figured I would also flush the brake lines. I figured it would be a good time to change the oil in the rear differential and manual transmission. I changed the engine oil and filter and lubricated the steering and suspension.
I also addressed some minor things on the squawk list. I gave everything a good cleaning and wax also. So with all that done, it should make for a active driving year !

1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
Jim,
Looking great, I can't wait to get my 2 cars back on the road. It will be next spring for the white 73 SD pro touring car.
I'm hoping for this summer on my stock blue 74 stock SD car.
I need to hook up with others in the Mid Atlantic area.
Darryl

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2021, 06:48:54 AM »
737driver,

This is the first time I recall seeing your 79TA finished and it looks great. I don’t know how I missed this because I was following your build with great interest and really admire the workmanship. Also nice group of Firebirds on your cruise!

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72

Two wheel toys;
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2021, 06:49:55 AM »
Looks like a fun day Jim, also the 79 looks great!  Nice turn out of trans ams, looks like you need to round up a '75 and a '76 now.  I am usually the only Trans Am at any of the cruise's I go to, which is kinda nice at times compared to the dozens of camaros, but it would be nice to have some company once in awhile.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2021, 08:41:39 PM »
Changed out my rear spring hangers for ones I made that were an inch longer.  Took it for a night ride to settle them in before tightening the bolts. Looks pretty level but I wouldn't mind if the front came down some....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »
I dunno man, that looks pretty awesome to me based on the picture.
-Brian-

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:11 PM »
Measure from the center of the wheels to the lip of the fenders/quarters, then you can see how the ride height is front to back.  Seems good to me as well, but from the angle it's hard to say 100%.
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies! My 79 is still running good, it doesn’t feel like it’s been 7 years since I finished it. I have been driving it a bit more this year and I can tell when it’s happy and it’s happy running on the road!
Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1971 Firebird

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2021, 06:23:58 AM »
Luke, car looks beautiful, the 'stance' looks perfect. I think they should sit a nudge high on the front anyway (and what I say counts, :grin: :grin: LOL).
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2021, 08:51:37 PM »
Thanks Kerry!

Well, I can sleep a little better now. I installed a cheap wifi camera with alarm in the one side of my shop to watch my baby sleep.

Night vision.

Night vision when motion detected (turns on a little LED light and an optional siren)

Me setting it up with lights on in the shop.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2021, 03:37:46 AM »
Thats a nice camera, cheap but does the job, I have few of the same that I've installed 2 years ago, has been working great.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2021, 03:37:46 AM »
You can help support TAC!