Author Topic: Rides like a tank  (Read 85 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Rides like a tank
« on: September 19, 2024, 08:42:25 AM »
I don't remember how the TAs rode whenthey were new, I was only about 9 or 10, but mine rides like a tank.  How, it does have the solid body bushings, that it does transfer alot into the body, and it does have the GT suspension kit from PTFB, but it does still seem to ride harsh.  Is this just a shocks issue?
I ahve considered pulling the GT kit and going with the 1LE kit he offers but I love the stance it has.
Dave

81 Trans Am w/73 400.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Rides like a tank
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:36:22 PM »
My '77 is pretty much a stock settup suspension wise. It rides fine for what it is. Not Cadillac smooth by any means. And these cars should be a bit stiff. Not sure what your expectations but nowhere near what modern cars are like.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:14:04 PM »
I have PTFB solid bushings, subframe connectors and 1le kit on mine, I think it rides fine, not the wallowing mess it was stock, I don't remember what shocks I have but will look that up,n
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:09 PM »
I have the same PTFB setup as you but with the Viking double adjustable shocks.  It only is rough riding if you hit potholes. Otherwise it actually rides pretty smoothly.  You may also want to try lubing up the rear leaf springs and bushings along with your sway bar bushings. That seemed to help and it’s a lot less noisy now. 

The shock adjustments are a bit hard to access so I found one setting and have largely never adjusted it since.  Kinda defeats the purpose of the adjustability but it let me dial in a good balance of decent comfort but excellent control. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:09 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!