Author Topic: Will Red Head Steering Gears make it right?  (Read 832 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Will Red Head Steering Gears make it right?
« on: July 28, 2024, 08:45:34 AM »
So a few months ago, I purchased a “new“ rebuilt gearbox from redhead steering gears, you can follow the thread in my original post. Upon taking the car out, I lost power steering twice, but then it came back. So I called redhead to ask them what to do and was told that occasionally the power steering pump is also bad. This made sense since as far as I know it is the original power steering pump from the 81. I then proceeded to order a new power string pump that meets their specs, 2 to 3 gallons per minute, brand new, etc. Upon finally getting that installed , I did their bleed procedures again for both the gearbox and the power steering pump only to take it out and realize about halfway through the drive that I lost power steering again. So the fact that it has a brand new power steering pump, brand new power steering lines, the only common denominator left is the gearbox.  So on their advice. I have spent $300 more than I needed to and still have the same problem. So I have sent them an email, nicely to let them know my dissatisfaction, mainly due to the fact that I have lost most of the cruising season because of this problem and spent $300 more than I needed to and still have the same issue. So we will see what they end up doing but needless to say I am not a happy camper.
Dave

81 Trans Am w/73 400.

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: Will Red Head Steering Gears make it right?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 03:44:42 PM »
So a few months ago, I purchased a “new“ rebuilt gearbox from redhead steering gears, you can follow the thread in my original post. Upon taking the car out, I lost power steering twice, but then it came back. So I called redhead to ask them what to do and was told that occasionally the power steering pump is also bad. This made sense since as far as I know it is the original power steering pump from the 81. I then proceeded to order a new power string pump that meets their specs, 2 to 3 gallons per minute, brand new, etc. Upon finally getting that installed , I did their bleed procedures again for both the gearbox and the power steering pump only to take it out and realize about halfway through the drive that I lost power steering again. So the fact that it has a brand new power steering pump, brand new power steering lines, the only common denominator left is the gearbox.  So on their advice. I have spent $300 more than I needed to and still have the same problem. So I have sent them an email, nicely to let them know my dissatisfaction, mainly due to the fact that I have lost most of the cruising season because of this problem and spent $300 more than I needed to and still have the same issue. So we will see what they end up doing but needless to say I am not a happy camper.
I totally understand your frustration, and its good to bring this kind of thing up. Sorry you spent money with no positive return. So let me throw this out for future reference for everybody. The Crashed 86 TA had over 240,000 miles on the original Power Steering Pump and Hose's when it got crashed. My 76 K5 Blazer has over 330,000 miles on the Original Power Steering Pump and Hose's... Yes I have changed the fluid but only because, I was thinking it might be a good idea. Its been my experience that the older GM stuff is pretty "Bullet Proof". Everything I have that is pre-2000 is High Mileage, and mostly Original GM. Just my .02.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »
Redhead has stepped up to the plate and is replacing the unit free of charge.  I do have to pay a core charge but that will be refunded once they get the one I have back.  I have no issues with that.
Dave

81 Trans Am w/73 400.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!