Author Topic: Radiator Mounting without Fan Shroud  (Read 663 times)

plckidd

• Active Forum Member
Radiator Mounting without Fan Shroud
« on: April 11, 2022, 04:54:27 PM »
I have purchased a new aluminum radiator with electric fans for my 1977 Trans Am.  How can I mount the radiator without using the OEM fan shroud?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:33:44 PM by plckidd »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Radiator Mounting without Fan Shroud
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 06:40:29 PM »
You would have to fabricate a support system.

Regards, Jack

brentco

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 07:23:37 PM »
What’s the shape of the new shroud for the electric fans? Is it one of those flat ones? Many people have had overheating issues after ditching the factory shroud.
1976 Trans Am 455/468ci Buccaneer Red

plckidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
What’s the shape of the new shroud for the electric fans? Is it one of those flat ones? Many people have had overheating issues after ditching the factory shroud.

The electric fan shroud is flat. Mounted directly to the radiator (Champion Cooling). Sounds like I need to keep the OEM shroud! I don't want to deal with overheating issues.

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:57 PM »

The electric fan shroud is flat. Mounted directly to the radiator (Champion Cooling). Sounds like I need to keep the OEM shroud! I don't want to deal with overheating issues.

You want shrouds that are conical. Air doesn't like just slamming into a flat service, those shrouds (including the one cold case sells) are a restriction when at highway speeds. Then for idle, a flat shroud that is too close to the radiator core will only dissipate heat effectively from the area of the core directly behind the opening for the fan itself, while the rest of the radiator core will be poorly exchanged. An electric fan I've heard good things about is the Flex-A-Lite #295 dual 13.5" electric fan. It is similar to a modern shroud in that the shroud is conical for each of the fans, and the output is a massive 4600 cfm. It also incorporates rubber flaps that are forced open by ram air for additional heat transfer at highway speeds like how SPAL fans use. If you have a higher output alternator and good serpentine belt system less prone to slippage, that thing will reportedly suck a beer can out your hand when it's running.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:47:43 PM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:57 PM »

brentco

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 07:59:25 PM »

You want shrouds that are conical. Air doesn't like just slamming into a flat service, those shrouds (including the one cold case sells) are a restriction when at highway speeds. Then for idle, a flat shroud that is too close to the radiator core will only dissipate heat effectively from the area of the core directly behind the opening for the fan itself, while the rest of the radiator core will be poorly exchanged. An electric fan I've heard good things about is the Flex-A-Lite #295 dual 13.5" electric fan. It is similar to a modern shroud in that the shroud is conical for each of the fans, and the output is a massive 4600 cfm. It also incorporates rubber flaps that are forced open by ram air for additional heat transfer at highway speeds like how SPAL fans use. If you have a higher output alternator and good serpentine belt system less prone to slippage, that thing will reportedly suck a beer can out your hand when it's running.

Yep — exactly what I was getting at re: the shape of the shroud. All good advice above.
1976 Trans Am 455/468ci Buccaneer Red

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 04:56:32 AM »
i run a universal 2 fan shroud with the champion rad.( ebay special ) and 2 fans from a 4th gen. i beat the hell out of my car if it leaves the garage including all summer when its above 120 out. never had a over heating issue. jegs sells a "big block" top plate that works very well. ill have to snap a pic.
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 04:56:32 AM »
You can help support TAC!