Author Topic: Cool work light  (Read 3631 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Cool work light
« on: January 25, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
Not car parts necessarily but more of a tool I thought I’d share. I grabbed this light on sale for $30 at Costco this weekend  I have this Snap-on light

which works well and is very bright but being plug-in has drawbacks at times and this Costco light seems pretty versatile.

It has three lights that each have their own battery and power buttons but when the side lights are attached they can either be turned on and off with their own power button or they will come on and off with the main light. Also while they are attached if you plug in the main light to charge it will also charge the side lights. Each side light has a compartment in the back with a USB cord in order to charge them individually if need be also.The main light was still aluminate when it’s charging but the side lights do not come on when they’re charging.

Behind one rubber door on the main light are two USB OUTPUTS to charge a device like a phone if needed. Behind the other rubber door is the charging port and a battery indicator.

Each light has a high power or low power setting however both are pretty bright. There’s not much light lost by switching to low power. They’re advertised as lasting 4 hours each on high or 8 hours on low. I found a video on YouTube of a guy testing that and he claimed to have gotten almost 6 hours out of them on high and 12.5 hours on low. He also tested charging time and got around 5 hours to charge.

The side lights are totally adjustable and also removable to use independently. They also have fairly strong magnets in order to stick them on metal surfaces. I have two 8 ft fluorescent lights in  my garage but they’re positioned away from the overhead doors so it’s is not lit the best over the hood of my car so I intend to use them by sticking them on the underside of the hood.

I took a few pictures in my basement today where it was somewhat dark but not pitch black.

This is with all three lights on high power. The camera didn’t do a great job showing the difference on low so I didn’t include that.

This is with just one side light on.

All in all, I really like it and hope it lasts quite a while. My only complaint is there is no place to store the charging cord so I used some 3m picture hangers with a rigid hook-and-loop kind of stuff to attach the power block to the back and then just wire tied the cord to the base.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:27:07 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Cool work light
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »
$30 at Costco has my name all over it. Looks like a nice setup.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 06:57:21 AM »
That does look like a nice light. I also like the decoration above the bar!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 07:06:55 AM »
I could not find it at our local Costco...

Regards, Jack

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
I think they sell it on their website but it was a bit more expensive I think.

Thanks roadking! My dad and I built that bar. I have LEDs under the bar and behind the bird that can be controlled with my phone.

I used two of those side lights last night a bit. I was trying to reinstall speakers myself in the package tray so I stuck one in the trunk and one in the back seat area. They worked great. One thing I noticed, they seemed to dim themselves a bit after being on for a while. Resetting the power switch brought the brightness back if needed but honestly, they didn’t dim enough for me to bother with it.

I also used them a couple weeks ago when I set up a tile saw in my laundry room. Not a lot of lighting in that area so I used them and they worked great!
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »