Author Topic: Package tray speakers  (Read 2300 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Package tray speakers
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:02:19 PM »
Perhaps a dumb question but when I bought my car there was no radio nor rear speakers but there were grills in place and the holes for speakers were bent into the trunk so that speakers could be dropped in from the top presumably. When I added speakers I mounted them from the top but they never fit right so I finally decided to try my best to straighten out the metal in that area. Now that I’ve done that, I noticed if I were to mount my 6x9s from the bottom, the package tray opening isn’t large enough and would interfere with the speaker cone (well, the rubbery part that allows movement of the cone). Is that common or might my particular speakers be designed differently enough that it’s an issue. Short of buying new speakers I assume my only option is to get a spacer to sandwich between the package tray and the speaker to lower it some?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Package tray speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:31:45 PM »
The speaker openings on my 73 were pretty hacked up when I bought the car. Always wondered what the need for the surgery was, maybe it was because of what you described.

The 6x9 speakers that I used have a center mounted tweeter (and midrange I believe) that stuck up higher than the surface of the package tray when mounted from below. If I had used grills on top it wouldn't have been an issue but I used a flush surface seat shelf cover with the integrated speaker grills. I ended up using 1-inch plastic spacers to lower the speakers. Can't remember where I bought the spacers but I do recall them being more expensive than expected for a simple plastic part.
Gene

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 01:14:27 AM »
Or seek correct rear speakers instead of spacers. From memory mine are Alpine SPR-69, a low-profile 6x9 which allows stock speaker covers on top and also increased clearance around the magnet than stock did, if needed.

Or just use spacers, may affect how you install them or the stock covers as have limited stud length.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:30 AM »
Ok thanks guys. I don’t have stock covers but I’d considered getting some at one point. I decided against it cause they don’t seem like they’d fit with my current speakers but that’s good to know there are specific ones out there that work with them.

Spacers are cheapest option to try first so I’ll start there. I just didn’t recall ever seeing anyone have a similar issue with their 6x9s
-Brian-

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:38:06 AM »
The original package tray fit one 6 by 9 on one side, and so you can see that bolt pattern in the original tray or by looking at an original grille.  I think in practice 6 x 9's vary at least a little, but not much, and they'd all flush mount from the bottom side, which was how they're mounted.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:38:06 AM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »
These 6x9s I have must be a little different. Between the cone (edges) height and the holes too. They’re close but not quite the same as the factory holes.
-Brian-

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:48:07 PM »
My original 78 came Radio Delete, so I had a blank canvas if you will. The Package Tray was solid no holes, and a combination of some kind of paper/thick tar/cardboard....What I did was use the holes in the metal part as a template, and sawed the openings out through the previous described cover, drilled holes using the metal part for the screws. The speaker grills had studs so all I had to do was drop them in place and then from inside the trunk I held the speakers up to the bottom of the tray, started the nuts and washers, tightened everything up and called it good. The TA I have now had a factory radio, and the guy I bought it from pulled it and the speakers, so again its kind of a blank canvas....just 6X9 holes only I don't have to cut through that tar stuff, just put speakers in. 

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:48:07 PM »
You can help support TAC!