Author Topic: Alternatives for the seat belt 'triangle' retainer?  (Read 1203 times)

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
Alternatives for the seat belt 'triangle' retainer?
« on: January 10, 2022, 03:37:15 PM »
For those of you running aftermarket seats in your cars, have you found anything to replace the triangle retainer from the stock seats?  I like the stock setup as they keep the belt from riding too far up on my neck.

Thanks!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Alternatives for the seat belt 'triangle' retainer?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 07:24:14 PM »
I guess it depends on the actual seat used, if they have any inbuilt headrest mounting location for a bracket or to secure to, after that it only needs to be a loop of sorts, off any number of similar seat setups. What seats are in yours?

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 10:24:23 PM »
1978 Y84 W72 WS6
A Camaro looks like it could kick your ass.
A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 02:11:08 PM »
I guess it depends on the actual seat used, if they have any inbuilt headrest mounting location for a bracket or to secure to, after that it only needs to be a loop of sorts, off any number of similar seat setups. What seats are in yours?

What's in there now are stock seats with the traditional triangle retainer.  But they may not stay.  Hence my question.  Given that everyone and their brother makes seats...what's out there, what have folks come up with... etc. 

As an example, there's a thread on here with some shots of Procar Rally's.  They look pretty darn good.  And then there's the seat belt right next to them, dangling away.  Which, for me, is going to bring the shoulder belt across my neck.  I can't be the only one with this challenge. :)

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »
Eliminated mine completely when I recovered the seats

Not ideal but looks cleaner and not broken.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 10:15:17 PM »
I ran across this video awhile back. He has the same aftermarket seats that I have and utilizes a seat belt guide from a 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt or Pontiac G5. The headrest posts hold the guide in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7KqPAoVRc

I tried locating these guides at one point but couldn't find them anywhere. Although now that I've got the car on the road and am using the 3-point seat belts, I don't really find a need for the guide.
Gene

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 01:08:26 AM »
Seat belt guides look cleaner than a clumsy belt hanging above the rear seat out of reach.

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »
Made these out of aluminum and fits hidden under the headrest.

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 05:53:21 AM »
I ran across this video awhile back. He has the same aftermarket seats that I have and utilizes a seat belt guide from a 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt or Pontiac G5. The headrest posts hold the guide in place.

I tried locating these guides at one point but couldn't find them anywhere. Although now that I've got the car on the road and am using the 3-point seat belts, I don't really find a need for the guide.

These look like a good solution. Would've been nice to be able to 3d print these.
1979 Trans Am

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »

Those do look pretty slick.  Oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go....

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »
I will probably get them powder coated in the near future, rattle can paint can only take so much abuse.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!