Author Topic: Hood and trunk weather stripping question  (Read 638 times)

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
Hood and trunk weather stripping question
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
My 79 takes 4 pieces on the under side of the hood. 2 small ones near the windshield wipers/windshield base and 2 large, front and back. Where is a good place to purchase these? So far I found a 3 piece hood set from soff seal. I would like to do the entire hood and the trunk at the same time. Part numbers would be great as well. thanks

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Hood and trunk weather stripping question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
It's the same seal and plastic retainers, if you found a long roll instead, and cut your own. The hood front seal is 79-81 only, if that affects the search. I've had a few over the years, some had pre-punched holes at correct locations, others had no holes, either was fine as pre-punched doesn't mean lines up, but I think it probably did.

Here's one at FBW. Seems now that Pete not involved, the facts don't get in the way if it leads to a sale. No, these weren't on 77-78 models with or without A/C.

https://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1977-1978-1979-1980-1981-trans-am-firebird-hood-toradiator-core-support-weather-seal-metro-moulded.html

I'll check what I have, thought I had a longer roll that was uncut in a bag. A few offer larger 'complete car seal sets' but often have items not needed or not correct and bumpers used by Camaro not Firebird models. Those who sell one probably have the rest, it's common to a lot of GM, especially trunk seal. You may keep an eye out for the hollow version like original that closes better, others are solid. Some cars have issues where others don't.

Edit: Yes, I have a spare bag of the Soff Seal 30231, cut into 3 sections for cowl. So that's not of use, and my larger roll was acquired locally without holes.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:32:40 PM by Wallington »

Re: Hood and trunk weather stripping question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
You can help support TAC!