Author Topic: OER vs YO Gold Snowflakes  (Read 1600 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
OER vs YO Gold Snowflakes
« on: October 22, 2021, 05:54:30 PM »
Has anyone compared the Gold paint or powder coat, used on the Year One and OER rims? Anyone got both? They look different to each other in pics, but obviously nothing to go by as lighting does a lot of that. Interestingly, OER was kind enough to keep the correct lugnuts.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: OER vs YO Gold Snowflakes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »
Do the year one wheels take different than stock lug nuts?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »
I went from silver YearOnes to gold OERs.  So not an apples to apples comparison.  I don’t see any flaws in any of the OER wheels and they mounted fine. The gold isn’t super bright but I believe that’s probably by design.  I attached a pic but lighting makes a big difference.  Not sure if that helps.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:19 PM »
Stros, if I remember right you installed the auto city glass tinted side and rear windows? Would you mind posting some pictures up of the glass installed? I’d like to replace my side glass someday and have considered the rear and I like the idea of tinted but I don’t know if it would look right on my car. What I’ve seen of yours looks great though so I’m intrigued. Does your rear feature a defrost as well or do they offer that option?

Thanks!
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
Brian, the first YO rims used the stock lugnut, subsequent batches changed to tapered acorn type.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
Stros, if I remember right you installed the auto city glass tinted side and rear windows? Would you mind posting some pictures up of the glass installed? I’d like to replace my side glass someday and have considered the rear and I like the idea of tinted but I don’t know if it would look right on my car. What I’ve seen of yours looks great though so I’m intrigued. Does your rear feature a defrost as well or do they offer that option?

Thanks!

Here you go…very happy with the Auto City Classic glass, especially when compared to OER glass.  It’s much thicker.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:25:24 AM »
Brian, the first YO rims used the stock lugnut, subsequent batches changed to tapered acorn type.

Gotcha. Interesting. I wonder why the change
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »

Thanks!

Here you go…very happy with the Auto City Classic glass, especially when compared to OER glass.  It’s much thicker.

Thanks man. Sorry to hijack Wallington.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:42:00 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 08:51:28 PM »
Haha not at all, I hijack my own posts for sake of convo.

Not sure why the lugnut change, but perhaps a way of centering the rim better when it was known that the centre hole was chamfered too much on some axles, but of course, then you correct the issue rather than creating more....nah. Wouldn't be so bad if they then came with an 'original' looking lugnut top, that had different base, their argument probably being that a 17" rim isn't for restoration anyway. I'm not sure their R15 sets ever came with correct type or straight into tapered also, since they came some time after the R17, but that's like 10 years ago now, and they were popular enough to sell out even if they'd only provided 4 stud holes.

Edit: seems the YO 15" versions always used stock lugnuts, makes the change even more unusual then.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:12:09 PM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
The OER certainly appear a more yellow gold than my YO 1st production, which are more of a bronze-brown tinge. Hard to compare with just photos in different light though. Would be interesting to know if the castings actually differed.

I have a few photos of mine with the GM paint chips and they match code 55 best (as they should) when also compared with code 50 and 56, which it was in between.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:49:46 AM by Wallington »

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
You can help support TAC!