Author Topic: Oil pressure, temp, and fuel gauges all quit working (79)  (Read 625 times)

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
Oil pressure, temp, and fuel gauges all quit working (79)
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:43:52 AM »
I replaced the dash recently. All gauges were working before I buttoned it up.  Decided to add LED's to the dash and all are working fine. I had to switch polarity on a few and did that with gauges installed and it was a tight fit with my hand up behind the dash.  A few days later I fired it up and these 3 dont work, in fact the needles are pointing in strange positions. Pulled the panel today and the fuel gauge is plugged in correctly and the main plug behind the speedo is seated.  The volt meter works and is fused with these other gauges, so it probably isnt a fuse. Tach works and that has a separate set of wires ( not the main harness) Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Im guessing I jarred something loose behind the dash working on the bulbs ,but I have no idea what it could be.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Oil pressure, temp, and fuel gauges all quit working (79)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
Since all three are out and reading funky, I would guess that you knocked off a ground wire somewhere.  I hate going behind the dash.

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 06:23:27 AM »
That was one of the things I was going to look at today. The last thing I did behind the dash was replace the blinker indicator lights with LED's so those are going back to 194 bulbs first. If that doesnt do anything, the  dash face plate comes off to check the ground strap near the headlight switch. To pull the gauges will be a headache as the new speedo cable doesnt want to slip out of the speedo. I just love aftermarket parts.

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:33 AM »
Fuse blew. Heres the kicker, owners manual states voltmeter is fused along with all other gauges but that isnt the case. The voltmeter worked the whole time which threw me a curve. Anyway I pulled the whole cluster out again. PIA. But its fixed.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:33 AM »
You can help support TAC!